You wanna do what???

desertdog71

Girthy Member
Just kind of funny because all I could think of is TopGun.

I was doing maneuvers out East of KCNU about 20 miles today and I called center for a block 3000-6000 to do some spins. I guess I should have just said maneuvers in the block but I said spins. The controller comes back and says "You wanna do what???"

Anyways no big deal, it just gave me a chuckle. ATC is great watching out for us out there.

Were these spins legal? Don't want you to get in trouble out there! :confused:

Well, I have a spin endorsement, my instructor who was with me has one also. The plane is plackarded as spins being acceptable. Altitude was not an issue. So yeah they were legal.

as long as he had a parachute and the plane was certified for them then sure he was legal.:)

I think I remember that if you are doing them towards a rating ( IE your CFI) then you dont need the parachute.

spins are fun until you know someone personally who bit the big one doing them.

That has to be one of the single stupidest things I've ever heard. I've lost a couple acquaintances to this flying thing, it's still fun (especially aerobatics). 1 friend on a motorcycle, 1 on a bicycle- still fun. Skydiving, yup, definitely still fun. Driving- fun sometimes. You go ahead and lock yourself in your closet, I'll be out having fun.

That has to be one of the single stupidest things I've ever heard. I've lost a couple acquainances to this flying thing, it's still fun (especially aerobatics). 1 friend on a motorcycle, 1 on a bicycle- still fun. Skydiving, yup, definitely still fun. Driving- fun sometimes. You go ahead and lock yourself in your closet, I'll be out having fun.

You may feel a little bit different if it was a friend of a decade instead of some "acquaintances".

Consider spell check next time.

Well, I have a spin endorsement, my instructor who was with me has one also. The plane is plackarded as spins being acceptable. Altitude was not an issue. So yeah they were legal.

Was it for training? (see below)

as long as he had a parachute and the plane was certified for them then sure he was legal.:)

I think I remember that if you are doing them towards a rating ( IE your CFI) then you dont need the parachute.

Yep. D-Dog you gotta have a parachute if it is not for training for the CFI certificate. Just watchin' out for ya that is all :)

Was it for training? (see below)

Yep. D-Dog you gotta have a parachute if it is not for training for the CFI certificate. Just watchin' out for ya that is all :)

Actually that's not correct, but I have a big ass burrito in front of me and don't feel like typing, so someone else can hash it out. Or not. Just an observation... :)

I thought someone might call this out :) I know this has been hashed out many many times. I think people read between the lines too much. From the AC...

"301. SPIN TRAINING AND PARACHUTES. Part 91, section 91.307(c), prohibits the pilot of a civil aircraft from executing any intentional maneuver that exceeds 60° of bank relative to the horizon, or exceeds 30° noseup or nosedown attitude relative to the horizon, unless an approved parachute is worn by each occupant (other than a crewmember). Section 91.307(d) states, in pertinent part, that section 91.307(c) does not apply to flight tests for a pilot certificate or rating; or spins and other flight maneuvers required by the regulations for any certificate or rating when given by a certified flight instructor (CFI) or an airline transport pilot (ATP) instructing in accordance with section 61.167."

It is not required for any rating except CFI, therefore in my view not legal.

Well, I've never seen anything proving- including your post above- that you must have a parachute to give spin training to a candidate for ANY certificate. I wonder if there is an FAA legal interpretation? I used to spin with any student that wanted to. An unintentional spin is an emergency, and proficiency with emergency procedures is required for all certificates. I think that was the conclusion I came to when I last researched it, but it's been awhile since I last did any instructing.

spins are fun until you know someone personally who bit the big one doing them.

Driving, too. And walking down the street. And flying ILS approaches. And sleeping. And boating. And skateboarding. And lighting a grill. And installing satellite dishes.

I've lost friends doing all of the above. Most are still fun to me!:sarcasm:

No no no :) Not awareness, actual spins.

Doing actual spins is considered a valid form of "awareness" training.

See Advisory Circular 61-67C, Stall and Spin Awareness Training, Page 14, paragraph (b). It clearly says spin training is legal, with or without parachutes, regardless of if the training is for a CFI certificate, another certificate or rating, or just general training with no particular goal in mind.

Basically, as long as a CFI is giving instruction, spins are 100% legal.

Why is this not more commonly understood?

Doing actual spins is considered a valid form of "awareness" training.

See Advisory Circular 61-67C, Stall and Spin Awareness Training, Page 14, paragraph (b). It clearly says spin training is legal, with or without parachutes, regardless of if the training is for a CFI certificate, another certificate or rating, or just general training with no particular goal in mind.

Basically, as long as a CFI is giving instruction, spins are 100% legal.

Why is this not more commonly understood?

I don't know. I've read a lot about this too, and it's pretty clear. Just a common misconception I guess. Nothing JC can't fix, though.

(And that's JetCareers, not the other JC.)

Well, I am prepping for a CFI ride on Thursday next week. So I would consider that as training. AS I am sure you know a spin sign off is not a get out of jail free card for the checkride. PTS clearly says the Examiner MAY ACCEPT in Lieu of performing the TASK.

I was practicing for the CFI ride in the company of my instructor in an airplane plackarded for spins at altitudes of 4000-5000 AGL, so in my eyes completely legitimate and legal.

Back