You need a mile to depart on a 135 flight.

If the AWOS is broken and you know you can see a mile, you can PIREP it for legal VFR.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If the AWOS is legit broken and you can see a mile you don't even need to PIREP it.

§135.213 Weather reports and forecasts.
(a) Whenever a person operating an aircraft under this part is required to use a weather report or forecast, that person shall use that of the U.S. National Weather Service, a source approved by the U.S. National Weather Service, or a source approved by the Administrator. However, for operations under VFR, the pilot in command may, if such a report is not available, use weather information based on that pilot's own observations or on those of other persons competent to supply appropriate observations.

(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a) of this section, weather observations made and furnished to pilots to conduct IFR operations at an airport must be taken at the airport where those IFR operations are conducted, unless the Administrator issues operations specifications allowing the use of weather observations taken at a location not at the airport where the IFR operations are conducted. The Administrator issues such operations specifications when, after investigation by the U.S. National Weather Service and the certificate-holding district office, it is found that the standards of safety for that operation would allow the deviation from this paragraph for a particular operation for which an air carrier operating certificate or operating certificate has been issued.

Emphasis mine.

If the AWOS is broken and you know you can see a mile, you can PIREP it for legal VFR.

If the AWOS is legit broken and you can see a mile you don't even need to PIREP it.

§135.213 Weather reports and forecasts.
(a) Whenever a person operating an aircraft under this part is required to use a weather report or forecast, that person shall use that of the U.S. National Weather Service, a source approved by the U.S. National Weather Service, or a source approved by the Administrator. However, for operations under VFR, the pilot in command may, if such a report is not available, use weather information based on that pilot's own observations or on those of other persons competent to supply appropriate observations.

(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a) of this section, weather observations made and furnished to pilots to conduct IFR operations at an airport must be taken at the airport where those IFR operations are conducted, unless the Administrator issues operations specifications allowing the use of weather observations taken at a location not at the airport where the IFR operations are conducted. The Administrator issues such operations specifications when, after investigation by the U.S. National Weather Service and the certificate-holding district office, it is found that the standards of safety for that operation would allow the deviation from this paragraph for a particular operation for which an air carrier operating certificate or operating certificate has been issued.

Emphasis mine.

Sure, the PIREP is more of a CYA and heads up for the appropriate authorities to come fix the ASOS.

Emphasis mine.
Cool, I didn't know anything about this reg. But does not available mean broken? If it's reporting something, then it is available right? It's just not correct.

Cool, I didn't know anything about this reg. But does not available mean broken? If it's reporting something, then it is available right? It's just not correct.

I mean, if it's broken, then the AWOS certainly isn't available. Pretty straight forward to me.

But if the AWOS is broken, ie reporting CAVU but you can’t see the end of the runway, you’re stuck.

I don’t know if filing a PIREP will CYA to depart VFR when it’s reporting IFR , but getting the airport manager to file a NOTAM would be better.

But if the AWOS is broken, ie reporting CAVU but you can’t see the end of the runway, you’re stuck.

I don’t know if filing a PIREP will CYA to depart VFR when it’s reporting IFR , but getting the airport manager to file a NOTAM would be better.

Calling FSS, telling them the machine is broken, and then filing a PIREP will accomplish the same thing. FSS will then notify the relevant authority to fix the machine.

Back