You know it's a bad landing when the flight attendants...

Re: You know it's a bad landing when the flight attendants..

Yeah, its not our damn fault that they build a lot of airports about 2-3 feet too high....lazy construction workers!!

:laff: :laff: :laff: Just found my next bad landing excuse.

Last January the pilot of a flight I took on ryanair (that was the problem) landed so hard that every flight after that makes me a little weird feeling right before touchdown even thought they all have been gentle.

I logged 50+ hours exercising my commercial license this summer on my days off. I took off with 4-5 passengers every flight, and not one complaint on my landings for all of the 100+ landings I made.

(Gotta love skydive flying) :D

Do they call the skydiving flights "Elevator" as well in Canada?

If the autothrottles are engaged, the thrust setting will go to idle on its own during the flare, but the thrust levers will not move, so the pilot must move them manually.

Not quite, but nearly.

During an autoland, the power will automatically go to idle in the flare, and as you rightly say, the RETARD callout is just a reminder.

During a manual landing with the autothrust engaged, SPEED mode will be active. If you don't close the levers in the flare, the autothrust will keep adding power to maintain the speed. That is the reason they included the callout.

On more advanced types, like the MD11, the thrust will go to idle on manual landings if the auto thrust is engaged.

Doug, did your Mad Dog have that feature too?

After a particulary "firm/hard/slam" landing in a band new Q400...my Captain says "You have to say goodbye to your adoring public"

To which I made this reply:

"Ladies and Gentleman, I do apologize for what may have seemed like a hard landing. I am actually a Certified Runway Integrity Engineer and I was just testing the runway this morning. Y'all will be happy to know that the runway is just fine. We sure hope that y'all enjoyed the flight this morning"

(I love sayin y'all out here, sometimes you get the confused puppy look from people)

with the complementary beers on Horizon, I doubt they mind if the landing was hard.

You'd think that...but I've had my fair shares of "Did we land or get shot down"-s

At times I think the Q400 has a mind of it's own when it comes to landing...

After a particulary "firm/hard/slam" landing in a band new Q400...my Captain says "You have to say goodbye to your adoring public"

To which I made this reply:

"Ladies and Gentleman, I do apologize for what may have seemed like a hard landing. I am actually a Certified Runway Integrity Engineer and I was just testing the runway this morning. Y'all will be happy to know that the runway is just fine. We sure hope that y'all enjoyed the flight this morning"

(I love sayin y'all out here, sometimes you get the confused puppy look from people)

It isn't a hard landing unless you bounce it.... I once "bounced" a Metroliner.... my first landing attempt on the line.... to which the Captain exclaimed to the Grenadines in the tower "We're here!" The tower replied with " No problaam Caaptaan.... would you laake da tractour to pull you in or caan you maanage?"

Boy that was an embarassing day!:rawk:

Re: Sequence

i think the nonflying pilot should grade the flying pilot on his landing. but you'll know yourself what kind of score you're about to get.

Re: Sequence

i think the nonflying pilot should grade the flying pilot on his landing. but you'll know yourself what kind of score you're about to get.

Heh...True....even solo piston single, as I'm getting ready to land, I can tell just before the threshold if:

a) it's gonna be a greaser
b) if I'm going to have to work at it to make it smooth
c) awcrapthisone'sgonnasuck....

Back