You haven't really layed over until you end up in the ER

Mad Doggy Dog

April 13, 2005

So I am lying on the Nevada desert ground with a makeshift splint around my right leg. I am in a lot of pain. The ground is rough, sharp, and dusty. I hear the unmistakable sound of a Bell Huey helicopter approaching. Thank god they sent a helo otherwise this would have been a long and brutal jeep ride. Besides, I have never been in a chopper before. Cool!

How did I get into this situation? Let me back up.......

I was working a 4 day trip with a long Las Vegas layover. I told my captain I was planning on renting a mountain bike and riding in the mountains 15 miles west of the city. He thought that sounded like fun and wanted to go along.....this would be his first mountain bike ride ever.

We rode some easy to intermediate trails from the village of Blue Diamond, NV. It was a stellar day to ride. Sunny, dry, temps in the 80's, nice breeze. The scenery was fantastic. Desert flowers, Joshua trees, colorful mountains.

We had been out in the desert for about 3 hours and were only a mile from the end of our ride when I wiped out. My tires lost traction and I began falling to the right. I unclipped my feet from the binding pedals and dabbed my right foot to break my fall. That’s when I felt a snap. I knew I had broken my leg before I even hit the dirt. I wasn't doing anything crazy and I was on an easy section of trail. Oh well, #### happens.

My captain was a former Marine fighter pilot so he had extensive survival training. I always carry a first aid kit whenever I ride plus plenty of provisions like tools, food, and water. The captain suppresses his fear of rattlesnakes and scours the desert for wood. He finds some small boards in a nearby junk pile, (people like to litter in the desert.) Using my belt and some of the bandanas I carry, he splints my leg. Then he makes a signal flag using my yellow jacket so that the rescue party will have an easier time spoting us.. Meanwhile I pop some pain killers from my first aid kit and call 911 on my cell phone. “Well captain,” I said, “the bike lesson is over…..don’t do what I just did.”

The 911 operator had no idea where I was despite the directions I gave her relative to parks, roads and towns. (There are a lot of clueless people in Vegas I am beginning to realize.) One would think a requirement for being a 911 operator would be familiarity with the local area. Perhaps lat/longs would work. I had a copy of a topographic trail map the bike store had given me but it only showed latitude, not longitude. So I called the bike store and told the manager where I was and what had happened. He was familiar with my position and was able to do a better job dispatching help. He called the town sheriff, also an avid mountain biker, and within 45 minutes help had arrived.

The chopper pilot did a great job landing on sloped desert terrain considering the gusty winds and thermals. The EMT’s doped me up with morphine, put me on a stretcher, and loaded me up. This was just like a scene out of a Vietnam movie. We took off to out of the desert and they deposited me at a nearby ambulance waiting on the highway. Off to the hospital we went. My first ambulance ride too.

So now I am lying in the hospital recovering from surgery. They had to put some titanium rods, plates and bolts in my lower right leg. Just call me Frankenstein. I should be fully recovered in a few months.

….Then I can go mountain biking again!

If you don’t occasionally end up in the ER,
you aren’t having fun!

Follow Up July 8th, 2005

Did you know that bodily trauma is great way to lose weight? Well it is! I lost 25 lbs two months after my accident. I went from 205 to 180. But I put 15 pounds back on…..hey its all muscle, right? Pull-ups are easier now!

So I enjoyed a 5 day stay at the hospital in Vegas. Fortunately, this is the only place where you do not hear the constant dinging and beeping of gambling machines.

What have we learned? Morphine leads to a hangover which makes one barf. Percoset makes one tired, dizzy and stupid. Tramadol, less so. Weaning oneself of pain killers causes insomnia. Too many idiots still live in Las Vegas….more on that later.

The first month I was out of commission totally. Laying-on-the-couch out of commission. Yuk. I hate TV now. OK, not really.

The second month I was on crutches and wearing a support brace….and driving electric scooters in the grocery store and mall and yelling out “TIMMY” whenever I caught people staring at me, (Only fans of TV’s South Park understand why that’s funny.)

Ended up missing 8 months of work. Thankfully had contractual disability benefits and ALPA sponsored optional insurance cover me for a full salary during that time.

On the day I passed my re-qual check ride, I went went mountain biking again that afternoon!

Mountain bikers creed: Glory lives forever - Chicks dig scars!

Attachments

• 04-13-05_1500.jpg
    04-13-05_1500.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 256
  • 04-13-05_1501.jpg
    04-13-05_1501.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 226
  • 04-13-05_1441.jpg
    04-13-05_1441.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 04-13-05_1442.jpg
    04-13-05_1442.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 243
  • 04-13-05_1505.jpg
    04-13-05_1505.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 04-13-05_1507.jpg
    04-13-05_1507.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 04-13-05_1508.jpg
    04-13-05_1508.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 146
  • 04-13-05_1509.jpg
    04-13-05_1509.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 04-13-05_1511.jpg
    04-13-05_1511.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 156
  • 04-15-05_1105.jpg
    04-15-05_1105.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 332
So here's the million dollar question.

Were you more excited about being found and leaving the Mojave alive after the spill or the helicopter ride? :)

And how in the hell did Dearien think I was involved in this somehow? Ha!

If you don’t occasionally end up in the ER,
you aren’t having fun!

I've been there many times with various injuries, all as a result of having fun, and I have the scars to prove it! :eek:

What have we learned? Morphine leads to a hangover which makes one barf. Percoset makes one tired, dizzy and stupid. Tramadol, less so. Weaning oneself of pain killers causes insomnia. Too many idiots still live in Las Vegas….more on that later.

Can't do morphine at all! They gave it to me once after surgery and it made me break out in hives and itch all over. I don't think I would do well as a junkie. Demerol is my drug of choice when I'm recovering from the abuse I have inflicted upon myself from outside activities.

The first month I was out of commission totally. Laying-on-the-couch out of commission. Yuk. I hate TV now. OK, not really.

Been there too, and have never been a big TV fan. Not sure if this is a good thing or not ;) :D, but I discovered these airline forums while recovering from my last knee surgery. When I got out of the hospital, I was at home in bed with my knee up in the air. At the same time, the suthernjets pilots were threatening to strike and my clients were in a panic. They were calling the office wondering if they should be re-booked, etc. I'm at home doped up on painkillers, with a knee the size of a basketball, saying "dammit!" ;) The office was calling me, I'm getting emails from clients, and I'm at home in bed with my laptop googling "suthernjet pilot strike" to try to find out if the strike looked like a "go" and to see if I needed to re-book all of my clients...and lo and behold, up popped these airline forums. (and ya all thought I found ya only because I think pilots are cute!) :p...Pilot egos!

The second month I was on crutches and wearing a support brace….and driving electric scooters in the grocery store and mall and yelling out “TIMMY” whenever I caught people staring at me, (Only fans of TV’s South Park understand why that’s funny.)

I did that too, and even inadvertently terrorized a small child in the grocery store once. She saw me tearing around the store in the handicapped scooter, started crying, and wailed to her mother that only grandma's were allowed to ride in those scooters. Perhaps I was going too fast.

Mountain bikers creed: Glory lives forever - Chicks dig scars!

But the question remains, do dudes dig scars too? Funny you should mention that, as I was out on the bay all day today, sailing with friends, and because it was so warm I had on shorts, which displayed my knee scar. All of us then compared our various scars, and one guy dropped trou to show us his. :eek: I've also got a couple of small scars on my chin from hitting the diving board and splitting my chin open while doing a half-gainer, not to mention another leg scar from encountering fire coral in the Caribbean while scuba diving without a wetsuit.

p.s. I'm jealous that I never got to ride in a helicopter, although I did ride in an ambulance once. I was out hiking, came upon a stream, and decided to take off my hiking boots to wade in a stream and cool off my feet. I cut the top half off of the toe next to my big toe on a piece of glass. It was hanging by the skin, but they were able to re-attach it with multiple sutures. I got to ride in an ambulance for that one! I think I used to make my mother anxious at times.

So now we know the true story of how Sky Cougar found us!

I had been wondering about that!

....And all along I thought you had Googled: "big ego, big watch, free newspaper"

On my next SFO trip, we can compare knee scars!

Free newspaper? Shoot! When I was flying domestic and my hotel room neighbor's paper's still outside of his door, it's community property!

(Yes, MDD and I fly at an airline who's so cheap, they'd save $.75 by automatically refusing delivery of the USAToday)

Two Words for you BAD ASS (this is a compliment by the way) , your last picture with your bike helmet on tells the whole story. Also I think you should write books cause I didn't want the story to end but at least it did end on a happy note.

So now we know the true story of how Sky Cougar found us!

I had been wondering about that!

....And all along I thought you had Googled: "big ego, big watch, free newspaper"

Oh well, ya know, with the exception of the "big ego", big watches and free USA Today's can get a girl fired up! ;):D

On my next SFO trip, we can compare knee scars!

It's a deal MDD! Mine got sunburned today while out sailing! It hurts a little.

Oh well, ya know, with the exception of the "big ego", big watches and free USA Today's can get a girl fired up! ;):D

It's a deal MDD! Mine got sunburned today while out sailing! It hurts a little.

HA!

I wish all my layovers ended up with the "showing of body parts!"

We both seem injury prone....but only to those who do not realize injuries are the price of admission to a life of adventure.

And a life without adventure isn't!

Take care of the rest of your parts until them.

Sake and raw fish on me afterwards!

We probably have many stories!

Will u b in Europe this summer?

off 2 bed.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

We both seem injury prone....but only to those who do not realize injuries and the price of admission to a life of adventure. And a life without adventre isn't!

Take care of the rest of your parts until them.

Sake and raw fish on me afterwards!

We probably have many stories!

Will u b in Europe this summer?

off 2 bed.........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I suppose it is the price of admission to a life of adventure, but I rather pay that price than live in a fearful cocoon. It's so much more fun to embrace life, adventures, and people, than be fearful of them!

I admit that I am more cautious than I was in my younger years. Age does that! - but I'm not more mentally cautious, just more physically cautious. I plan on being "mentally" adventurous until they're throwing dirt on top of me!

This is my busy work season, but I may be in Prague in a few weeks.

I'll take you up on the sushi offer though!

Damn, Bob you never offered me sushi! That's the last time I loan you my wife to go to the wine fest in Mainz! :) :sarcasm:

The chopper pilot did a great job landing on sloped desert terrain considering the gusty winds and thermals. The EMT’s doped me up with morphine, put me on a stretcher, and loaded me up. This was just like a scene out of a Vietnam movie. We took off to out of the desert and they deposited me at a nearby ambulance waiting on the highway. Off to the hospital we went. My first ambulance ride too.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Nice!

I've actually gotten a ride on a Las Vegas Sheriff's rescue helicopter as well...but this was in 1995 and we were about 45 miles south in the Eldorado Mountains and had spent an unintentional night out. The whole scene was indeed like a Vietnam movie--the spotter even tackled me as I approached without their permission (I was ambulatory).

Ironically, I'm laid up right now with a *huge* hematoma in my leg from a biking incident...I'm hoping it dissolves soon so I can do something other than hobble around.

Damn, Bob you never offered me sushi! That's the last time I loan you my wife to go to the wine fest in Mainz! :) :sarcasm:

My friend,

If you will recall....

I beleive I ordered, then offered to share, a rather large plate of German style smoked salmon served over lettuce and covered with some sort of yellow sauce. That technically could be considered sushi! [pic 1]

There was also some sort of pizza thingy we were eating too. [pic 2]

But I believe you were too busy enjoying your 1/2 Hummer Vom Grill. [pic 3]

I was not about the interfere with a man while he was enjoying a 1/2 hummer...............whatever that is.

Attachments

• Copy of FRA 110.jpg
    Copy of FRA 110.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 107
  • Copy of FRA 111.jpg
    Copy of FRA 111.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Copy of FRA 029.jpg
    Copy of FRA 029.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 100
Mad Doggy Dog, does alarm go off when you walk through metal detector? :p

Yes.

Then I say.....

"Ooops, sorry.....musta been my brass balls!"

No....... My titanium rod never sets off the metal detector.

[insert dirty joke here, _______________________________________]

Fun story maing! I have many scars and stories from all these years of riding, but none involve being airlifted! Good show! Was that trail out by Boulder City? If so, I have ridden there as well and it was tons of fun.

That splint was pretty cool too. I once knew how to make a traction device out of bandannas and sticks, but that skill is a little faded nowadays. Maybe one day I will get to practice on someone, however a femoral break would be necessitated first. Wanna go riding? :) :D

Cool story, bro. Glad to hear you made it out ok!

Were we all so able to be optimistic and upbeat about life's stumbles.

Get well soon, man.

Good show! Was that trail out by Boulder City?

Yo Bike21,

THose trails are located about 5 miles south of Red Rock Nat rec Area. There is a village called Blue Diamond, and a bike is there which has rentals. [Trek]

West and south of Blue Diamond is BLM land. Lots of single and double track.

.....And thanks for the regards, Charlie! Although I fully recovered over two year ago. In fact, I'm gonna go running soon today.

The chopper pilots / paramedics were part of the Nevada State Police. Both were former army guys too. They looked at my splint and said, "who made this?" I pointed at my captain, and said "he did....he's a Marine." They said, "Well that's pretty good for a Marine!"
:)

Back