Yippie! Maine to Arizona in a Bonanza

Acadia

Just got a call from a friend. He wants me to help fly a super spiffy Bonanza A36 from Maine to Arizona after Thanksgiving. Not a paid trip, but my travel costs are covered. Should be fun.
cool.gif

I did Greensboro, NC to Carefree, AZ in an F33A a couple years ago ... it was an absolute blast! Have a fun and safe trip ...

FL270

AOPA Flight Planner

I was just doing a little flight planning for the trip. Has anyone else checked out the new program AOPA has for members? Its a little program (full of updated Jepps data) for flight planning that you download for on & offline use. Like WSI if you are online it gets all current TFRS and displays them graphically and the program is integrated with a your DUAT account so it can get route weather and overlay radar data onto a planned route.

Im just playing around with it now, but it is pretty nice for home use! (not sure how good it is with a dial up connection, but it rocks with high-speed).

Re: AOPA Flight Planner

Scottsdale... though I wont be hanging around long. Im going to need to catch the first flight I can get back to New England.

Why ruin such a nice trip by ending it at SDL?
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was just doing a little flight planning for the trip. Has anyone else checked out the new program AOPA has for members? Its a little program (full of updated Jepps data) for flight planning that you download for on & offline use. Like WSI if you are online it gets all current TFRS and displays them graphically and the program is integrated with a your DUAT account so it can get route weather and overlay radar data onto a planned route.

Im just playing around with it now, but it is pretty nice for home use! (not sure how good it is with a dial up connection, but it rocks with high-speed).

[/ QUOTE ]

I downloaded it a few days ago and it seems to be a pretty powerful tool for a free download. I don't think it has DP's or STARS in it though, does it? The graphical overlays of weather and TFR's are really cool.

I sincerely hope so! If you tried to do BHB-SDL nonstop in the Bonanza you'd be making an unscheduled stop probably somewhere in West Virginia! Even with tip tanks, a Bonanza will go six hours max on full fuel, at 160 knots TAS, that is 900-1000nm, no wind, not accounting for IFR fuel requirements, alternates, or (most importantly) PIC bladder endurance!

When I did NC to AZ, I stopped four times en route ... three were planned, one was a quick hop to the next airport down the road to buy some charts I needed. I did the trip over two days ... Greensboro to Houston day one, and Houston to Phoenix day two. I was solo the whole time, but it was absolutely fantastic. Some of the most fun I've had flying.

Plus, some of the hotties I saw in PHX made me want to move!!!

FL270

Back