Yet another corpie…

External cause at FL270 would be impressive. Assuming they were actually at 027 if they were over St. Pete descending for TPA.

This would be a new failure mode for Tamarack, as they don't usually depart in flight. Generally they have a controllability issue, not structural failure.

Safely landing after their plane tried to fall apart.

Separately, Tamarack and Cirrus must have the same marketing folks. Both products started as a good idea and are marketed with cult-like fanaticism and lack of attention to things like facts and data.
Ah, the Tamarack tree! Beautiful deciduous purveyor of brown river waters and native American de-worming remedies.

The problem with naming your wing-tech after a deciduous conifer is that it's deciduous. Being coniferous, you might think the tree holds its needles all year long, but you'd be wrong.

If I were in marketing and naming airplane parts, I might, just maybe, go out of my way make sure I named 'em after things that hold together all the time.

Re: "Cirrus". Kinda the same. Maybe don't name your aircraft after a cloud the airplane will never encounter in flight.

Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Ah, the Tamarack tree! Beautiful deciduous purveyor of brown river waters and native American de-worming remedies.

The problem with naming your wing tech after a deciduous conifer is that it's deciduous. Being coniferous, you might think the tree holds its needles all year long, but you'd be wrong.

If I were in marketing and naming airplane parts, I might go out of my way make sure I named 'em after things that hold together all the time.

Re: "Cirrus". Kinda the same. Maybe don't name your aircraft after a cloud the airplane will never encounter in flight.

Just sayin'...

Pedantic post of the year candidate!

Pedantic post of the year candidate!
I'd much rather prefer "biologically-informed post of the year." But that's just me.

I mean, if you think including a few well-worn botanical terms in my post render it pedantic, I'm not sure I can help you.

Last edited:
Oh god, please don't make 'corpie' a thing.

giphy-11.gif
giphy-12.gif

I know! just call them flying limo drivers and be done with it.

(opposed to flying bus drivers)
You are aware, there are really only four kinds of pilots in the world: Bus Drivers, Truck Drivers, Limo Drivers, Exterminators.

Hope that's not too shrubby for y'all.

Did you know you can get an engineering disposition for a G-IV to make a ferry flight with one winglet missing and the FAA has approved the permit In the past? Lots of speed tape is involved but apparently the flying qualities weren't diminished that much according to the crew. Adding winglets to a wing not engineered with them can be problematic structurally and aerodynamically. If you put them on as an STC keep in mind that adding them effectively increases the wingspan and load on parts that might not be up to the task. I recall an old video with a Hawker 800 with brand new API winglets installed that got into an aileron flutter situation that scared me watching it. If they're just for looks and they fall off before the wing structure fails I think that's great, it's like 22' wheels and 30 series aspect ratio tires on a '87 Lexus, I wouldn't do it but it's not my money. Why does a Citation need winglets?

Advertisers and mercenaries too
Gumption is neutral. It's how you apply it against which you should be judged.

If one has the gumption to work toward driving a bus by advertising or killing for money, that gumption places that person squarely into the exterminator class.

Did you know you can get an engineering disposition for a G-IV to make a ferry flight with one winglet missing and the FAA has approved the permit In the past? Lots of speed tape is involved but apparently the flying qualities weren't diminished that much according to the crew. Adding winglets to a wing not engineered with them can be problematic structurally and aerodynamically. If you put them on as an STC keep in mind that adding them effectively increases the wingspan and load on parts that might not be up to the task. I recall an old video with a Hawker 800 with brand new API winglets installed that got into an aileron flutter situation that scared me watching it. If they're just for looks and they fall off before the wing structure fails I think that's great, it's like 22' wheels and 30 series aspect ratio tires on a '87 Lexus, I wouldn't do it but it's not my money. Why does a Citation need winglets?

I've ferried a CRJ and a 321NEO around without a winglet. The CRJ performance penalty was pretty small but the 321 one was several thousand pounds of load and a huge increase on the fuel burn.

Back