X Plane9 as FTD, and Questions About Books, Asking Advice

inventor

Hello,

TT 40 minutes; demo flight.
Goal; become an ATP.
Target schools; ATP and MSU.
Financing; hopefully through the Workforce Invenstment Act.

I have questions about using X-Plane 9 as an FTD. I already have X-Plane, and Saitek HOTAS set, and a headset for the computer. Plan to buy additional flatscreens for my computer, and yoke and throttles, just for personal enjoyment. Also understand that my home computer can be registered with the FAA as a flight training device using this flightsim.

Would it be worth the cost to do so? Would time on this device count for anything?

Also, they have an add on that is fully interactive flight school in a 172. It's cheap and going to buy it anyway. Anyone have any reviews or info on this one?

Here's a list of books I have, any other suggestions for additions?

Jeppessen
Private Pilot Manual
Practical Test Standards - Single Engine Land and Sea
Private Pilot Maneuvers
Instrument Rating Manual
Instrument Rating Exercises
A&P Technician General Textbook 2004
A&P Technician Powerplant 1997

Ralph Butcher
Private Pilot
Student Syllabus
Instructor Sylabus

FAA
Instrument Flying Handbook

ASA
Private Pilot Test Prep 2007

Wolfgang Langewiesche
Stick and Rudder (In great condition! Got it for a steal!)

Brown and Holt
The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual

Robert C. Nelson
Flight Stability and Automatic Control
(Textbook that was given to me.)

Would like to know if anyone has used these books, intend to get them eventually;

The CRJ 200, and 700 study guides.
http://www.crjstudyguide.com/

Any suggestions for other books would be greatly appreciated. Would also like to know which plotters, E6B, gear, etc. to buy.

Already lucked into two headsets, one a Dave Clark.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Re: X Plane9 as FTD, and Questions About Books, Asking Advic

Hello,

TT 40 minutes; demo flight.
Goal; become an ATP.
Target schools; ATP and MSU.
Financing; hopefully through the Workforce Invenstment Act.

I have questions about using X-Plane 9 as an FTD. I already have X-Plane, and Saitek HOTAS set, and a headset for the computer. Plan to buy additional flatscreens for my computer, and yoke and throttles, just for personal enjoyment. Also understand that my home computer can be registered with the FAA as a flight training device using this flightsim.

Would it be worth the cost to do so? Would time on this device count for anything?

Also, they have an add on that is fully interactive flight school in a 172. It's cheap and going to buy it anyway. Anyone have any reviews or info on this one?

Here's a list of books I have, any other suggestions for additions?

Jeppessen
Private Pilot Manual
Practical Test Standards - Single Engine Land and Sea
Private Pilot Maneuvers
Instrument Rating Manual
Instrument Rating Exercises
A&P Technician General Textbook 2004
A&P Technician Powerplant 1997

Ralph Butcher
Private Pilot
Student Syllabus
Instructor Sylabus

FAA
Instrument Flying Handbook

ASA
Private Pilot Test Prep 2007

Wolfgang Langewiesche
Stick and Rudder (In great condition! Got it for a steal!)

Brown and Holt
The Turbine Pilot's Flight Manual

Robert C. Nelson
Flight Stability and Automatic Control
(Textbook that was given to me.)

Would like to know if anyone has used these books, intend to get them eventually;

The CRJ 200, and 700 study guides.
http://www.crjstudyguide.com/

Any suggestions for other books would be greatly appreciated. Would also like to know which plotters, E6B, gear, etc. to buy.

Already lucked into two headsets, one a Dave Clark.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

The amount of time you can actually use toward furthering your goal is not worth the money you'll pay to do that. Save up for time in a real airplane instead.

That's an impressive library you've got so far :) I would definitely add some aviation history type stuff in there!

Bump. This thread seems to have fallen off the radar.

Read Stick and Rudder. After that your flight school will help you get the books you need. The materials you currently have are definitely overkill.

Do not get your computer turned into an FTD. It takes more money and time than you think. Not to mention you need an instructor in order to log the time anyway.

You wont need the CRJ study guides. Once you get hired at an airline they will provide all the materials you need to get through their classes.

Tip. If you can cut costs safely, do it.

The materials you currently have are definitely overkill.

Do not get your computer turned into an FTD. It takes more money and time than you think. Not to mention you need an instructor in order to log the time anyway.

Der! Never thought about having to have the instructor there.:insane:

But as for overkill, I'm the over prepared guy. I want to know everything cold before I even see the school. And the CRJ books would be just fun for me, I barely missed out on getting a set of Citation 5 series manuals on eBay. I'm an inventor, and just edging into getting some income. I plan to fly my own aircraft, with a captain in the left seat of course, after proper training and hours. But that's a few years away, and would still like to move along the training/career path as a backup plan.

Thanks for the advice, any insight is appreciated.:clap:

You might want to start by getting a medical certificate first - some guys get hung up there without even realizing there would be a problem.

Read Stick and Rudder. After that your flight school will help you get the books you need. The materials you currently have are definitely overkill.

You wont need the CRJ study guides. Once you get hired at an airline they will provide all the materials you need to get through their classes.

Ditto all of this. As an instructor that worked for a flight school that used XPlane as the FTD software, it's not as simple as it sounds. You need to get the specific type of software (and it's not the normal off the shelf one), have some come over and certify it and the equipment and then keep it that way. The FAA is pretty picky when it comes to things like certification. If every I isn't dotted and every T isn't crossed, they're not too happy with it.

I also concur on the CRJ guides. I didn't know anything about a CRJ when I started class at Pinnacle other than they held 50 passengers, burned Jet A and flew considerably faster than a Seminole.

You might want to start by getting a medical certificate first - some guys get hung up there without even realizing there would be a problem.

Good advice!

You really have a ton of useless paper! Go by steps, study well the Private stuff, trust me there is a ton of information even more then what`s in the PTS. Sign up for AOPA flight training, good stuff for a student.

If you really want to get some books, get Rod Machado stuff

CRJ??? Probably by the time you will have enough time to fly one, most CRJs will be gone from the skies..

Good advice!

You really have a ton of useless paper! Go by steps, study well the Private stuff, trust me there is a ton of information even more then what`s in the PTS. Sign up for AOPA flight training, good stuff for a student.

If you really want to get some books, get Rod Machado stuff

CRJ??? Probably by the time you will have enough time to fly one, most CRJs will be gone from the skies..

First of all ZING! good one on the useless paper.:yup:

Already with AOPA, no money for the Rod Machado stuff. Bought what was told needed by instructor, then bought what I thought I would need. By the time I learned about Machado, work had dried up.

As for the CRJ books, I'll hold off until later, as most of it probably wouldn't make sense right now.

Will take the advice to get the medical, when start work in March.

Again, thanks for all the input!

Thanks!

Get the NP1 or NP2 http://www.kwikplot.com/id3.html
or buy on ebay a Cessna Pilot Center E6B that comes with a plotter too....if you get an e6B get a mini one

this kneeboard http://www.mypilotstore.com/mypilotstore/sep/524 small and it`s all you need

as bag just use the one that comes with the Jepp kit

Back