Would I pass a medical? Various conditions...

lessthancrazy

Hi,

First off, I apologize for not using the search function but it keeps timing out on me every time I submit a search request. Second, I HAVE booked a medical examination with a flight doctor but I just wanted some opinions because my appointment isn’t for a couple of months.

I would like to know if I stand much of a chance of passing a medical to get a commercial pilot’s license. I do live in Canada so I’m sure the standards are different but I was wondering if I could get some insight anyways.

I have the following conditions:

• Scoliosis: I had surgery to correct this. No rods were used but the spinal fusion was performed. The only limit this has on my mobility is that I have to bend at the waste (e.g. I can’t touch my toes).
  • A.D.D. & Depression: I still say this was teenage angst but my doctor didn’t. When I was 14 I was diagnosed with both and was given Concerta and Zoloft to treat them. I haven’t been on Concerta for 6 months and Zoloft for over 2 years.
  • Ankylosing Spondylitis: Not sure if I have it but it runs in the family and I am HLAB-27 positive. I do have many of the symptoms but they could also be a result of the scoliosis and resulting surgery (according to my family doc)
I’ve always thought I had no way in hell of passing my Class 1 but my girlfriend’s friend’s boyfriend has scoliosis and he has his commercial license so maybe it’s not impossible…?

I do not do medicals for Transport Canada but I do know they will probably want copies of the records pertaining to the depression and ADD. The other problems should not be disqualifying though.

Back