Word of advice for fellow low-timers.

slushie

F2TH C56X C500
http://www.dropzone.com

The classifieds are nice, but like I've said before these jobs are usually word of mouth and unadvertised. So look up drop zones in your area and stop in with a resume.

Just don't do it around Vegas right now.....please... :)

My word of advice to fellow low-timers.

OralExamCFI.jpg

And if you already have a CFI, just stay put at your job and be thankful that you have a job.

-Rob

You people can't leave a good thread alone...sheesh!

BTW, I'm working on
figi.gif

But I think a weekend Caravan or King Air jump job would be a great supplementary income for a CFI. And fun at that.

...every thread I post lately... :/

What do you expect man? It's like this.

You ever run into non Christians that are 100% convinced you're wrong? It doesn't matter what you say, they're going to tell you that they've got the real #### and that you can take whatever you've got and shove it.

It's no different here. There are folks that have made some monumental strides in their career in the short time they've had said career, and have done very well with the path they've gone down (they're the Christians in this situation). They're talking with some folks that don't want to flight instruct for one reason or another, and even after talking about all the great things instructing does for you, both personally and professionally, the folks that don't want to instruct (non believers) tell you that they've got it all figured out, and they don't need anything from you. They can get fine on their own, and don't need you for anything. They'll become just as good at flying as you will be. At the same time, they also seem to always have to settle for less opportunity than the flight instructors.

So again, what do you expect? You're normally on the righteous side, if you will, but on this issue you're not and you wonder why folks argue with you.

John, like I said a couple posts up, I WILL be a CFI.

This thread just made mention of a nifty resource. And did not beg the argument to be inserted. That's all I :/'ed about.

:p

The correct usage of your analogy would be:

Slush: "Hey Steve, want a beer? We got some Newcastle...Fat Tire...Some Corona..."
Steve: "Jesus is a tard."

Right, but you're going to get it anyway.

Face it man, if a Satanist runs into a room full of Christians and yells, "#### YOUR GOD! I WORSHIP OUR LORD SATAN!" the response will vary from strange looks to an impromptu baptism to an all out butt whoopin', and it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Right, but you're going to get it anyway.

Face it man, if a Satanist runs into a room full of Christians and yells, "#### YOUR GOD! I WORSHIP OUR LORD SATAN!" the response will vary from strange looks to an impromptu baptism to an all out butt whoopin', and it shouldn't come as a surprise.

Hmmm still, not what this thread was doing.

Re: Word of advice for CFI's.

And for those CFI's! Get to work!:D
M461l.jpg
Heck yeah. Come on pilots, it only takes 4,800 hours of working on airplanes to get it. But if that sounds like too much time, I hear there are part 147 "fast track" courses that only take 2000 hours. ;)

My word of advice to fellow low-timers.

OralExamCFI.jpg

And if you already have a CFI, just stay put at your job and be thankful that you have a job.

-Rob

What this comes down to is that CFI-ing to build time is the relative "easy way" as far as I've seen. Its the surest way to get a job outside of Alaska in the current job climate. However, if that's not what you want to do, you're not going to be a dumbass if you don't CFI. You're not an idiot if you don't have a shiny CFI ticket in your pocket. That's what bothers people like me on this forum. I didn't get my CFI to build time. I didn't have to. I got a job that required judgement and decision making and I got to fly, not teach someone else how to fly. The fact that I flew parts cross country, went IFR and battled ice and the like doesn't make me an idiot. Personally, I thought the experience I gained there was ten times better than CFI-ing. That being said, I'm going back to get my CFI now because even though I don't need it (I have a stable job with good pay and benes) I want to be able to train my friends and family how to fly, and sign my fellow buddy pilots off for BFRs etc.

I know plenty of people who towed banners, ferry flew, dropped meaters, SIC'd pipeline patrolled and other obscure jobs. The vast majority of them turned out great, just like the vast majority who flew as a CFI. Its just a different and significantly more challenging path (especially in terms of job longevity, and pay). At the end of the day, each of us has our own motivations for flying and working, that being said, it is critical to keep in mind that just as all people are different, all pilots are different. There is no hard and fast way to do anything in aviation. There are a million different variations on everything. That's partially why aviation is so interesting to me. I can fly the same route 4 times per day and have a different experience every time. Things aren't set in stone, think for yourself....annnnnnnnnnnndddd off my soapbox.

-pat

dont start this #### again.

In today's employment environment, it's no longer an issue of what the best way to prepare yourself skill-wise for aviation career is, it's a question of what jobs other than flight instructing are even possible now. With the regionals no longer hiring at 250hrs (thank god!) I highly doubt that there's many jobs out there that will hire you with less than 500tt. So either most people are going to have to instruct for at least a while or buy the extra couple hundred hours. With most places pushing $100/hr wet for any airplane, that's a lot more than the cost of a CFI.

It's a question of "what else are you going to do?" now. The people who got into the industry in the last few years just aren't accustomed to the idea of having to put time and effort into the career before getting to fly a jet.

Back