Women in ATC

Crisally07

Hello,

I'm a newbie, and I have a question. I've received a tentative offer letter for MDW and I'm really looking forward to beginning a career as an air traffic controller. However, as 24 yr old, single female, I'm wondering how hard it is to start a family while living this hectic life.

I've heard the male perspective, and in my opinion, I think it's a bit easier for a man because obviously he doesn't have to take months off at a time, not to mention dealing with the stresses of being pregnant.

So, I want to get a female perspective, but have yet to find it. Are there any female controllers who started families while in this career? I don't want to think that by choosing ATC, I'm putting my dreams of a family on hold. Are there any places on the web that deal with this in some way?

15 views and not one post!!!!!!

I don't think having a child on first year pay is very smart. When I was a tower intern in NY, there was a female controller and she had kids. I don't know how she did it.....
IMO and because I'm a boy umm... i mean man, kids are overrated and very costly, and on top of that they throw up at the absolute wrong time!!! They are cute though....I hope that helps (somehow I know that didn't).

Actually if I were you I would ignore everything I wrote. Controllers usually don't take advice from pilots anyway.

Re: 15 views and not one post!!!!!!

Even though the advice wasn't great...thanks for posting...LOL. 15 views and no post! That really sucks...either my topic completely sucks, or there really aren't that many female controllers. Whatever though, yea I'm definitely not planning on having a child anytime soon (though I will have one), but I can imagine it being even harder after I'm fully trained.

YEah my advice usually isn't that great, I actually have never been in the family life forum, I just saw women in atc and I thought there was gonna be some ....nevermind

Hello,

I'm a newbie, and I have a question. I've received a tentative offer letter for MDW and I'm really looking forward to beginning a career as an air traffic controller. However, as 24 yr old, single female, I'm wondering how hard it is to start a family while living this hectic life.

I've heard the male perspective, and in my opinion, I think it's a bit easier for a man because obviously he doesn't have to take months off at a time, not to mention dealing with the stresses of being pregnant.

So, I want to get a female perspective, but have yet to find it. Are there any female controllers who started families while in this career? I don't want to think that by choosing ATC, I'm putting my dreams of a family on hold. Are there any places on the web that deal with this in some way?

I know the feeling. I'm 28 y.o., single female, with no kids - talk about clock ticking. I don't assume you should get pregnant while in training - so when I finish I'll be early 30's with no kids. I do think about it a lot. I thought about adopting, I just don't know. So, you are not alone...if it make you feel any better.

Mekia, if you look anything like your pic. I would like to work on that "single" part of your problem. Maybe you should come to the M & G this friday.

Comments like that will get you know where. :DThis was actually brought up in another forum. There was talk about having a Flight Attendant forum but it was a no go. Part of the reason for not having the forum is due to men hitting on women.

But yes, more the merrier.

So I ask myself, "Self? Why don't more women frequent the website?"

Mekia, if you look anything like your pic. I would like to work on that "single" part of your problem. Maybe you should come to the M & G this friday.

From "The Rules"

1. Keep your posts professional.
You never know who'll end up as your new chief pilot. Trust me, I know.

If you're going to go there, atleast take it to PM's.:)

I mean no disrespect at all. I look at your picture as art, If you are that creative enough to make that pic. Shows me you are an out of the box thinker, open minded to new ideas.
Hell, I wish more women would get into aviation. I feel like all I fly with are men. It seems like more women are getting in ATC.

Mekia I am sorry If I offended you, That was not my intentions.

Mekia/Crisally07 , there is a post out (ATC area) there somewhere (I think it is rated, have not seen it from the new threads) talking about training. About how during training work on training, don't get married, don't have kids, just focus on training. If you can find it it's a good read.

:DThis was actually brought up in another forum. There was talk about having a Flight Attendant forum but it was a no go. Part of the reason for not having the forum is due to men hitting on women.

:yeahthat:I thought of the Lavatory discussion when I read his post. I also got a good laugh out of it.

Mekia - My advise (and not I am not an ATC, a pilot or anything other than a stay-at-home mom so take it for what it is worth)... I do not think your dream of having a child ends because you become an ATC. As for the age thing...don't let it bother you. Angelina Jolie just had twins and she is 33. Halle Berry was 42. Mom's are older now than they used to be.

Since you aren't in a serious relationship and working on a baby currently, work on the career. You might find half way through training that you would be able to handle a pregnancy, you might not. I don't think you will really know until you actually get there. I definitely don't think you have to choose one or the other right now.

I mean no disrespect at all. I look at your picture as art, If you are that creative enough to make that pic. Shows me you are an out of the box thinker, open minded to new ideas.
Hell, I wish more women would get into aviation. I feel like all I fly with are men. It seems like more women are getting in ATC.

Mekia I am sorry If I offended you, That was not my intentions.

Mekia/Crisally07 , there is a post out (ATC area) there somewhere (I think it is rated, have not seen it from the new threads) talking about training. About how during training work on training, don't get married, don't have kids, just focus on training. If you can find it it's a good read.

That picture gets so much attention:D
No worries, you did not offend me.

NO, that is not me. I like photography...I just thought it was a well taken picture. Hopefully one day, I can take a picture that well. I do think out of the box, but that usually gets me into trouble.:p

I don't get it, not all men hit on women in this forum.
Terribly generalizing - are we not?

With that said - unless you are considering artificial... well or, better said, no men involved... oh, uh... well... when a man and a woman, not, ahhh...
Scratch that!

I'd get the job first!
Then I'd look for the date
Then maybe start thinking about little things like babies

I think the most terrible thing that can happen to any guy is meeting a woman that tic tack's like a bomb. It will work out in the end. Working on babies must be fun...
And if not, you can always step in front of a bus, in ATC even an AIRBUS!

I don't get it, not all men hit on women in this forum. Terribly generalizing - are we not?

Yes I was, and then I wasn't. No, not all men, just some. They give the others a bad reputation.......guilt by association......all men have that Y chromosome. My sense of humor is terribly sarcastic and I am usually in trouble for it!! :D You can ask some of the long-time airline captains about flirting and pilot reputation in general. Now let me start listing of all the men on this forum that have hit on me...........on second thought.......it would take up too much space. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Yes I was, and then I wasn't. No, not all men, just some. They give the others a bad reputation.......guilt by association......all men have that Y chromosome. My sense of humor is terribly sarcastic and I am usually in trouble for it!! :D You can ask some of the long-time airline captains about flirting and pilot reputation in general. Now let me start listing of all the men on this forum that have hit on me...........on second thought.......it would take up too much space. :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Ahh, I see - guilt by association.
Well, don't add me to your flirting list, this avatar scares the living poop out of me :cwm27:...

It's generally safe to assume every woman in here must have her own aversions and issues with the bunch of broken records and stereotypes. I mean, this forum probably serves as a well warning for any (as in: all) women to stay far far away from any personality that closely resembles a pilot. The last date I had went sideways after I told her I was a career changer. I think she was seriously concerned once she found out how much I make now - and what I am "aiming" for... :tease: :panic:

Ahh, I see - guilt by association.
Well, don't add me to your flirting list, this avatar scares the living poop out of me

Which avatar? You don't have one as far as I can see.

The last date I had went sideways after I told her I was a career changer. I think she was seriously concerned once she found out how much I make now - and what I am "aiming" for...

Unfortunately that is life. We are shaped by all of our experiences, good and bad. Learning from that experience, moving forward, adapting, hopefully avoiding bitterness, and trying again are all part of the human condition. We all want to be needed in some way and share our lives with someone who cares what we experience in that life. It is unavoidable.

No worries, I will not entertain adding your name to my list! :D That just leaves.............and you all know who you are! :D ;) :D

And I wish you all the best in your career change! I did not have the guts to do it. I still fly GA and practice medicine.

[B said:
I'd get the job first![/b]
Then I'd look for the date
Then maybe start thinking about little things like babies

I think the most terrible thing that can happen to any guy is meeting a woman that tic tack's like a bomb. It will work out in the end. Working on babies must be fun.
And if not, you can always step in front of a bus, in ATC even an AIRBUS!

Am I concerned about getting married and having kids? Yes
Do I push the matter to guys I date? No.
My last boyfriend wanted to get married, but I knew he was not right for me. I am not the type to marry anything with testes, just to have a baby.

Working on babies better be fun!

Am I concerned about getting married and having kids? Yes

You will certainly be a better mother/spouse if you are happy and satisfied with yourself first. If this careers is where you see professional fulfillment, do it. There are lots of careers that have long work hours and unpredictable schedules. Somehow people seem to manage to have families and well adjusted kids.

Back