Wisdom Teeth Out / Vicodin / Zyrtec

Joe28

Hi... i've done a search but didn't find much information on this...

i'm getting my wisdom teeth pulled in a little under a month because i can only chew on one side of my mouth (and using insurance while still in school :)). there is a possibility that i would have a PEPC for ATC shortly after this happens so i'm curious about a few things. i know vicodin can cause a false positive. should i not even take it after getting my teeth pulled? how long does it remain in the body after taking a few doses? should i write down on the sheet if i'm currently taking or was taking it even if it was a month prior?

also... i have extremely bad allergies, especially in the summer so i take over the counter zyrtec about 3 times per week. does this also cause false positives? how far in advance prior to a PEPC should i avoid taking it?

any info would be greatly appreciated :)

My brother had this happen at his employer when he was on vicadin for a root canal. If it shows positive for vicadin they will probably just ask for a proof of your prescription. No biggie.

Dude this is so weird! I was just about to post the EXACT same question!

Except i dont think i'm going to be scheduled for a PEPC too soon, still waiting on auth. for the AT-SAT.....

My question is though, i dont think the tests show what type of drug is being used, but rather just show positive for an OPIATE....so what should we do about that?

Dude this is so weird! I was just about to post the EXACT same question!

Except i dont think i'm going to be scheduled for a PEPC too soon, still waiting on auth. for the AT-SAT.....

My question is though, i dont think the tests show what type of drug is being used, but rather just show positive for an OPIATE....so what should we do about that?

haha weird... but yeah... that was my concern exactly. i know it would turn up pretty non-specific and there's a pretty big difference between prescription vicodin and recreational opiates (at least i would think :confused:)

Drug test do not test for the actual drug, but for what the drugs breakdowns into. These by products will be stored in your fat. That is why you can test positive months after you take the drug. I would be totally honest with them. As long a you can prove you have a presciption for it, I think you will be OK. By the way, I had a root canal about a month ago and only took 800mg of Motrin, so you might be worrying for nothing.

Vicodin: just take what you need for pain. Put it down with a notation of hte last dose taken and the wisdom tooth removal as the reason. It will probably not even come up as an issue unless the last does was within a week.

Zyrtec is disqualifying. It is a sedating antihistamine. You can use Allegra or Claritin however.

Vicodin: just take what you need for pain. Put it down with a notation of hte last dose taken and the wisdom tooth removal as the reason. It will probably not even come up as an issue unless the last does was within a week.

Zyrtec is disqualifying. It is a sedating antihistamine. You can use Allegra or Claritin however.

great thank you for the info... and i'll switch to clairitin :)

Hey Doc...thanks for all this useful information.....

You are saying that Claritin and Allegra are Approved by the FAA? Is this pilot only or ATC as well?

I do not know the ATC regs. It is up to the Flight Surgeon taking care of the ATC people. You have to report ANY medication to him before you are cleared to work.

Well I am asking since I got my 3rd Class I have stopped taking it by recommendation of the Flight Examiner.....If it is allowed I wouldn't mind being able to take a claritin/allegra once in a blue moon for those pesky allergies...... I'll have to ask when I go.

Back