Will I get hired with a waiver?

FlyingNole

I'm currently instrument rated and want to pursue a career in the majors, but I have a waiver on my medical. It states:

"Not valid for flight during daylight hours by use of signal gun."

Long story short, the FSDO at KFLL told me this was the only possible test in order to obtain my medical (since I failed the "dot test" at the AME's), and now this limitation is stuck for good. Anyone know for sure if any airlines would'nt hire me because of this?

Thanks,

Andrew

thats not the only test, there are many tests you can take and simply send the results off to the FAA to get a letter that you present to the AME to be exempt from taking the color vision portion of the medical.

check out this thread on JC

PM me if you have any more questions.

btw dont use leftseat.com's service it is not worth your money, however their site has alot of useful information about different test you can take.

Wow, so what if you're flying during the day and lose comms? Do you have to wait until night and hope you have enough fuel?

BTW, I'm not trying to be a smartass, I'm really curious.

Did you take the Light Gun Signal Test administered by the FSDO? If so, your options are limited at this point. What you need to do is find out if you can take an alternate test such as the Farnsworth Lantern Test. Airlines probably will not hire a person who cannot fly at night, but don't quote me on that.

The Farnsworth Lantern and Light Signal Gun Test (assuming you pass the first time) ultimately result in the same letter and same privileges. Go ahead and try the Farnsworth a couple times and if you can't pass, just go for the Light Signal Gun Test.

Again: same result, same privileges.

Hey, sorry for the double post, maybe you guys didnt understand what I was saying though. I took the signal gun as my first option, but its only used as a final option, so I cant get it removed. But the waiver is so obscure that I have no idea what to think.

Andrew,

Not sure I understand you correctly.

If you passed the light gun test you should have been issued a new medical with no restrictions, with regard to color vision, and a Statement of Demonstrated Ability.

I have heard of pilots hired at regional and major airlines with this SODA, but I do not know any personally.

I don't think the FAA will allow you to take an alternate test after you have received the SODA to have it removed. I could be wrong though.

Have you checked with AOPA?

Good luck.

I know this is an old thread, but I took the signal light test, and I do not have any restrictions at all. They no longer even issue a SODA. Instead, they just remove the restriction altogether. I am sure there is a record in my file that I did at one time have the limitation "Not valid for flying at night or by color signal control."

Anyway, my medical is 100% clear now because I passed the test. Did you fail a portion of the test to get the restriction you have? If you passed, perhaps you should call the FSDO and ask if the restriction was removed properly.

Just a thought.

Grayson

call em up

Aerospace Medical Certification Division, AAM-300
Federal Aviation Administration
Civil Aerospace Medical Institute
P.O. Box 25082
Oklahoma City, OK 73125
(405) 954-4821

Back