Why NJC is great...

mikecweb

So after attending my first NJC here are some of my thoughts...

While it was very entertaining sharing adult beverages with everyone and enjoying laughs as Seggy threw down his biggest game with his cell phone exploding with jealous text messages, there was something that made the trip all worth it. You can get beer anywhere, you can tell flying stories and chance girls on any random night. What made NJC great was the advice given by three outstanding individuals. Bill (Calcapt), Dr. Forred (MyFlightSurgeon), and Capt. Al Haynes.
For a young guy in this industry the expertise and insight that these gentlemen provided blew me away. The way Al Haynes took an impossible accident and turned it into a learning experience for everyone was amazing. I don't think a single one of us will ever forget the words "Standard Operating Procedure". Dr. Forred gave great advice as to dealing with the stress of the current state of the industry. His contributions to the round table were invaluable. And finally I want to talk about Bill (Calcapt). From the moment he walked into the room until the second he had to leave during the roundtable I was immensely impressed with the demeanor that Bill presented. He carried himself like a Captain of a major airline. His words of advice and things to think about which he gave during the roundtable will stick with me for a very long time. Bill represents everything that each of us should strive to become during our aviation careers.
Thank you to the above individuals, Doug, Kristie, Martin, and everyone else that made NJC an amazing experience for me. :nana2:

I wish I could have attended the other features of NJC.
CalCapt was a super cool guy from the few minutes I chatted with him as well as the Doc.
Ide like to pick your brain a little next time Mike seeing that you have my ultimate dream job if I were to ever pursue an aviation career. The same goes for Martin (Polar).
Also thanks for clearing up who that is in your avatar. ;)

I wish I could have attended the other features of NJC.
CalCapt was a super cool guy from the few minutes I chatted with him as well as the Doc.
Ide like to pick your brain a little next time Mike seeing that you have my ultimate dream job if I were to ever pursue an aviation career. The same goes for Martin (Polar).
Also thanks for clearing up who that is in your avatar. ;)

:yeahthat:

Wish I would have had more time. Next year!

So after attending my first NJC here are some of my thoughts...

While it was very entertaining sharing adult beverages with everyone and enjoying laughs as Seggy threw down his biggest game with his cell phone exploding with jealous text messages, there was something that made the trip all worth it. You can get beer anywhere, you can tell flying stories and chance girls on any random night. What made NJC great was the advice given by three outstanding individuals. Bill (Calcapt), Dr. Forred (MyFlightSurgeon), and Capt. Al Haynes.
For a young guy in this industry the expertise and insight that these gentlemen provided blew me away. The way Al Haynes took an impossible accident and turned it into a learning experience for everyone was amazing. I don't think a single one of us will ever forget the words "Standard Operating Procedure". Dr. Forred gave great advice as to dealing with the stress of the current state of the industry. His contributions to the round table were invaluable. And finally I want to talk about Bill (Calcapt). From the moment he walked into the room until the second he had to leave during the roundtable I was immensely impressed with the demeanor that Bill presented. He carried himself like a Captain of a major airline. His words of advice and things to think about which he gave during the roundtable will stick with me for a very long time. Bill represents everything that each of us should strive to become during our aviation careers.
Thank you to the above individuals, Doug, Kristie, Martin, and everyone else that made NJC an amazing experience for me. :nana2:
I must agree with you about, of course, all three of these mentors, but particularly Bill. He has absolutely no other reason to be with us at NJC but to give back, or as our slogan says, "Pay It Forward". CalCapt has a kind and unassuming way about him, offering advise and listening to our stories as closely as we listened to his. He has a wealth of experience from F14's to being a major airline captain, and he expressed himself and treated us all as equals. I was fortunate enough to get to talk with and be near him as he engaged many of us "up and comers" around the room, and I came to understand that he wants to advance the profession, without ego.

I would like to add my sincere appreciation, Bill, for sharing your experience and leadership with us.

Thanks guys, I am obviously flattered by all the nice comments. Quite honestly, I had serious reservations about attending this year because I really wasn't interested in flying to Vegas just to go to a big party. I knew that many of the JC members that I have much respect for would be there so I packed a bag and headed for the airport. I was pleasantly surprised how nice and professional everyone was and I had a great time attaching JC names to real faces. I truly felt part of a brotherhood there and I could just feel the anticipation and excitement in the room when Capt Haynes was introduced - what an inspiration to us all. I had a ball sharing a drink with Velocipede. His passion on this forum is legendary, but I just found him to be a really great guy, and consider him a good friend. The girls all drove me crazy with their antics and occasional flirtiness. I fell for their acts hook, line and sinker. I was amazed to learn that Dale (Bumblebee) is a big band musician and singer. That is one talented dude, as well as a genuinely nice guy. He even offered to leave the round table early to drive me to the airport which I sincerely appreciated. Doug and Kristie were obvioulsy wonderful and Doc Forred was a person I felt comfortable visiting with. He is such a talented and gifted man and never ever gives you any of that "I am a Doctor" attitude that we all deplore. Seggy is a gifted man and I am told, an anoutstanding captain. His humility and respect for others really got my attention. I loved sharing stories and visiting Old Pete and now have a close friend who is a flight instructor in Georgia. I am so proud of Qgar for not only chasing but capturing her dream and a hug from her was worth the trip by itself. Toria is beautiful and charming and we were all lucky to be able to partake of her wisdom, stories and encouragement. She has accomplished great things in her life as we are so lucky to have her in our circle. Wildfreightess and Gina were also a blast to be around. Guys, we are sooooo lucky to have these girls in our midst. There are soooo many encounters and stories that left me in awe.

Truthfully guys, I took more from Vegas than I left. Everyone there left something on the table for all to collectively benefit from. I have 40 or 50 new friends I never had before Vegas, and I intend to grow those friendships. Many great friendships were formed there, and much knowledge and inspiration changed hands as it should have. I can't wait for next year.

There are soooo many encounters and stories that left me in awe. Truthfully guys, I took more from Vegas than I left.

This is just one fine example of the unassuming professionalism and humility we all respect so much. I especially have benefitted from your expertise on the forums and am grateful for the opportunity to have met with you in person at NJC. You are a fine example of the professional we all strive to be.

I would have written something, but calcapt summed it up far better than I could, and reflected my opinions of the event perfectly. So I'll steal what he said, chop it for my use, and buy him the beer I wasn't able to next time I see him.

I think we all were inspired by calcapt's professionalism.

Martin

Thanks guys, I am obviously flattered by all the nice comments. Quite honestly, I had serious reservations about attending this year because I really wasn't interested in flying to Vegas just to go to a big party. I knew that many of the JC members that I have much respect for would be there so I packed a bag and headed for the airport. I was pleasantly surprised how nice and professional everyone was and I had a great time attaching JC names to real faces. I truly felt part of a brotherhood there and I could just feel the anticipation and excitement in the room when Capt Haynes was introduced - what an inspiration to us all. (edited for my use....;))

Doug and Kristie were obvioulsy wonderful and Doc Forred was a person I felt comfortable visiting with. He is such a talented and gifted man and never ever gives you any of that "I am a Doctor" attitude that we all deplore. Seggy is a gifted man and I am told, an anoutstanding captain. His humility and respect for others really got my attention. I loved sharing stories and visiting Old Pete and now have a close friend who is a flight instructor in Georgia. I am so proud of Qgar for not only chasing but capturing her dream and a hug from her was worth the trip by itself. Toria is beautiful and charming and we were all lucky to be able to partake of her wisdom, stories and encouragement. She has accomplished great things in her life as we are so lucky to have her in our circle. Wildfreightess and Gina were also a blast to be around. Guys, we are sooooo lucky to have these girls in our midst. There are soooo many encounters and stories that left me in awe.

Truthfully guys, I took more from Vegas than I left. Everyone there left something on the table for all to collectively benefit from. I have 40 or 50 new friends I never had before Vegas, and I intend to grow those friendships. Many great friendships were formed there, and much knowledge and inspiration changed hands as it should have. I can't wait for next year.

All I can say is I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer. I didn't get to meet half the guys I wanted to. Its just too bad my layover was so short and my push was so early. Looks like I'll have to "clear the decks" and do the whole thing next year.

Its nice to know there are so many young up and comers in the airline business to carry on when Bill and I are gone. You guys are the best and I mean that.

Calcapt was truly impressive. He never monopolized conversations, told grandiose stories, or pushed political agendas, he simply acted like the professional everyone should emulate. I never heard him "call out" any unprofessional behavior he saw, he just lead by example. I don't know if that's from his military training, years as a captain, or growing up in middle America.

When he spoke, people listened, (reminded me of that E.F. Hutton slogan from the 70's and 80's) At the Round Table discussion he spoke for the least amount of time but was listened to most intently. The one thing that is still ringing in my head is when he said "Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it" (advice I probably should heed more often) You can tell its not just a slogan or cliche, but something he lives by.

Thanks for coming to NJC '08.

I thought it was much more interesting and pertinent to hear Calcapt say out loud that the industry in 10 years or so is really based on the decisions that are made NOW...things need to be done in order to bring up professionalism again...proper grooming, less complacency (like not taking a flight that's unsafe), losing the ego, being honest and most of all...shouldn't do something just because you *can*... etc.

I wish i would have video taped it for all on this website to see. it was really very inspirational and right on the money.

Maybe, if you recall, Bill, you can give a quick recap on what was said?

All I can say is I'm sorry I couldn't stay longer. I didn't get to meet half the guys I wanted to. Its just too bad my layover was so short and my push was so early. Looks like I'll have to "clear the decks" and do the whole thing next year.

Its nice to know there are so many young up and comers in the airline business to carry on when Bill and I are gone. You guys are the best and I mean that.

Hey man, it's all good. Just make it next year! :)

It was certainly a pleasure meeting you!

That'd be cool. I'd like to hear some "old school" H-46 sea stories!;)

I thought it was much more interesting and pertinent to hear Calcapt say out loud that the industry in 10 years or so is really based on the decisions that are made NOW...things need to be done in order to bring up professionalism again...proper grooming, less complacency (like not taking a flight that's unsafe), losing the ego, being honest and most of all...shouldn't do something just because you *can*... etc.

I wish i would have video taped it for all on this website to see. it was really very inspirational and right on the money.

Maybe, if you recall, Bill, you can give a quick recap on what was said?

I had potato chips for breakfast that morning so who knows what I said. I will try to put in writing in the next day or two some of the things I recall sharing. At my age I am lucky to remember I even attended.

I had potato chips for breakfast that morning so who knows what I said. I will try to put in writing in the next day or two some of the things I recall sharing. At my age I am lucky to remember I even attended.

Wait....you were there?:panic: :D

Not because I'm very good friends with both J.J. and Bill, but you young guys would do well to listen to what those two had to say. They've "been there, done that" in both the military and civilian aviation world and are still extremely humble and generous men. Bill and J.J. are the consummate professionals and it made me smile to see the young men of JC (and Delia!) hang on Bill's every word. It was so quiet in that room when he was speaking, you could hear a pin drop. With any luck at all, you guys will be in a similiar position years from now. ;) :rawk:

You? Blushing? Now, THAT'S funny! :D

You older dudes sure have that "innocent" act down pat, don't you? :p

After reading the posts, I can't help but wish someone had videotaped the roundtable. I think that video would have been a great addition to the jetcareers website if it was posted for everyone who didn't go to Vegas to watch. Hopefully I will attend next year, but if I don't, someone should bring a video camera!

After reading the posts, I can't help but wish someone had videotaped the roundtable. I think that video would have been a great addition to the jetcareers website if it was posted for everyone who didn't go to Vegas to watch. Hopefully I will attend next year, but if I don't, someone should bring a video camera!

Good idea. I know I definitely learned alot.. it'd be a great pitch for new attendees in the future, too.

You? Blushing? Now, THAT'S funny! :D

You older dudes sure have that "innocent" act down pat, don't you? :p

We're just not used to having attractive women compliment us. If that qualifies as an "act", so be it. But you keep the compliments flowing and I'll keep blushing!

Back