Why Dispatch?

KeepinItLegal

So, before this year, I didn't know much
at all about flight dispatch. And I'm just carefully considering my options about my future. I don't know any dispatchers so I have to start somewhere. :)

To my ignorance, I just thought it
was all ATC and flight deck. I'm ashamed
because I love airplanes and felt I should haveknown that there was such a thing as flight dispatch.

Better late than never for going all in into the aviation world... (currently working ramp for Envoy) anyway.

What draws me in at a superficial level, is that it sounds like I'd basically be a pilot on the ground and a third party crew member, which sounds rather exciting. Additionally, for someone who wouldn't pass a medical to be a pilot, this sounds
like the next best thing. Along with the amount of knowledge to learn about aviation, this excites me and I think this is the place to learn.

What's the appeal for dispatch though for anyone else reading this? And also why isn't dispatch talked about more considering I really haven't heard much about it let alone don't know anyone
in it?

Thanks all!

I love aviation but didn’t wanna go 100k in debt to go through pilot training. And honestly I’m really glad this is the route I took. I get to come home to my family every single night and when I clock out for the day I’m done and leave my work at the office.

When it comes down to it, it’s just a really cool job. Yeah you have your days where the big hub you’re working out of is a mess and you’ll have a rough day, but at the end of the day it’s all worth it. And obviously once you get out of the regionals the earning potential is there.

And it’s not talked about because nobody knows we exist. Guarantee you if you go into this line of work everyone will think you work in ATC (which I eventually just stopped correcting people because it never did any good). It’s a behind the scenes job that the general public will never interact with.

For me it’s about schedule flexibility and pay. Mostly the flexibility. You can easily make it work to fit your needs. Sure, you will likely work nights but it’s not like other industries.

Once I made it I knew I wouldn’t have to wait a decade and a half for my base pay/premium to top out. Big deal for my family. First class flying is nice too, especially on longer trips. Don’t miss the six abreast only on the MAX/NG.

You’re spot on with the third crewmember on the ground. That’s cool too.

To fly without flying.

The ramp certainly has its adventures, but dispatch issssss taking that trip. To ask the "why" as a primary question, when the winged dumpster deuce with 30 MELs can't take the full 50 seats without a massive fuel penalty. Without a ballast restriction. Without it being partly sunny and 15C at 00000KTS.

Asking "why", for me has always been the root cause.

Most of these people like airplanes but their parents were married, so they couldn’t become pilots. ;-)

You should be able to do a "walk a mile" in Envoys SOC. You can look up the info on Envoys company website and send and email to find out more info.

Also check out disptacher.org for more dispatch information

Touring Envoy SOC might turn you off from dispatching
Huh any idea why?

Also as for why dispatch well every day is different, some days easy, some days hard, some days a race against the clock to prevent delays being blamed on dispatch. But at the end of the day you get to go home and dont have to take the work home with you.

Spotted Cow Air Lines actually did a pretty good blog story recently about DX and the happenings in an SOC. Worth a read for some insight into the career

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One of the fun things in interviewing prospective dispatchers is asking their “origin” story. It’s such a niche position that it’s fun to hear how people found it.

I found this career by accident when I was working the ramp. i was study helper to some coworkers who were getting their license. The next year I got mine (since the company would pay for itl They’re getting she’ll of return ont hat investment now… as I work for the primary competitor.

I won’t lie, the prospect of unlimited Jumpseats was my primary motivator at the time. free travel is a powerful addiction

now I know way more about RNP and solar cycles than I ever thought I’d need. But everyday is differnet and the changes are coming faster than ever. Keeps you on your toes. And I enjoy the hell out of that!

Back