Why buy a GNS430 over a GNC355?

Skylimit

Ive been looking at avionics upgrades and will probably pull the trigger sometime this year. The brand new Garmin GNC355 retails for $6,999 and Sporty's has them for $6,295. This is a brand new modern unit. On Ebay, old and used (still in good condition though) Garmin GNS430's are going for $3,500 to roughly $6k and the 430W is around $5200 to $7500.

So why would anyone get the old Garmin 430W instead of the new 355?

If you already have a 430 that has failed, buying the same thing means near-zero installation cost. Also, the 430 has a nav radio and the 355 is com-only. Probably also some component of optimistic sellers looking for uninformed buyers.

The only benefit. But I’d argue, why? How many VHF NAV sourced places is one going to, that doesn’t have LNAV or better approaches?
I’ll be upgrading the 182 with a 355 sometime in the near future.
I think I’d be on board with it if I had a second nav/comm with an iron CDI (say a KX165). Buddy of mine put a G5 HSI with GNC355 in his Cherokee, and kept a second old school nav/com. Seems like a good setup for any amount of IFR you’d want to do in a non-deice piston single.

You ogle the new GI275 instruments yet?

I just googled them. They look great. I’m curious at the install cost vs. G5. This might be a combo worth looking into.

I just googled them. They look great. I’m curious at the install cost vs. G5. This might be a combo worth looking into.
I can’t imagine it'd be much different to install...looks like it talks to the GNC directly instead of via a CAN bus adapter so there’s kind of less wiring involved...

@Roger Roger When I swap out the crap Narco 12D’s will a new harness from the 355 (GPS/COM wishlist) cut out the constant side tone, from the current non-shielded wires?

Or am I forever going to be a miniature 757 or MD80 putzing around Wisconsin?

@Roger Roger When I swap out the crap Narco 12D’s will a new harness from the 355 (GPS/COM wishlist) cut out the constant side tone, from the current non-shielded wires?

Or am I forever going to be a miniature 757 or MD80 putzing around Wisconsin?
Might have to re-wire your intercom/audio panel too.

Is it just me or does the GI sceeens seen way too small for the amount of info held? Feel like I’d have to put my face a couple inches in front of them to see anything clearly

I think I’d be on board with it if I had a second nav/comm with an iron CDI (say a KX165). Buddy of mine put a G5 HSI with GNC355 in his Cherokee, and kept a second old school nav/com. Seems like a good setup for any amount of IFR you’d want to do in a non-deice piston single.

You ogle the new GI275 instruments yet?

Just flew a 172 with a G3 PFD and a backup G5. In some ways I like the G5 better. That sucker is awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ive been looking at avionics upgrades and will probably pull the trigger sometime this year. The brand new Garmin GNC355 retails for $6,999 and Sporty's has them for $6,295. This is a brand new modern unit. On Ebay, old and used (still in good condition though) Garmin GNS430's are going for $3,500 to roughly $6k and the 430W is around $5200 to $7500.

So why would anyone get the old Garmin 430W instead of the new 355?

Also check with your avionics shop and Garmin, I believe the 430 is no longer being supported. It might be tough to repair if you break a knob or wear out the D-> & enter buttons.

Back