Who has a rocky background but still go sec. clearance?

FedererFan

Getting closer to PEPC time and I'm thinking the only thing that could hurt me is a DUI 4 years ago. Anyone else in this same boat? Little problem from the past still haunting you?

Yup, I'm in a similar boat (although not a DUI), thing happened almost 3 years ago, so I have no idea what's going to happen. Hope this trip won't be a waste.

I am in the same boat and I keep hearing to be honest so that is what I plan on doing. The form I filled out said to state all your offenses in the last 10 years.

In August of 1998 I got busted for possession of drug paraphernalia. My buddy and I got pulled over and the cop searched my car and found a pipe shaped like a penis that a girl had left in there. When I went to court, my mom and I were talking to the prosecutor about my options and the cop that busted me walked by while I was talking about pleading not guilty and he started spazzing out saying "how can you plead not guilty, I have the dope pipe right here" and he pulled out a ziplock bag with a pipe shaped like a penis. It was really funny. The bummer is I filled out the form in July so I was one month shy of this "falling off" my 10 year record.

I also had a DUI in July of 2000.

I made a lot of mistakes when I was younger and all I can do is take responsibility for them and show how I have grown from the experience. I am not going to make any excuses when asked about these incidents and while I love sharing the penis pipe story, I don't think it is appropriate for an interview. :)

do you have to put down speeding tkts too?

Here are the instructions and questions from the form...

For questions 9,10, and 11, your answers should include convictions resulting from a plea of nolo contendere (no contest), but omit (1) traffic fines of $300 or less, (2) any violation of law committed before your 16th birthday, (3) any violation of law committed before your 18th birthday if finally decided in juvenile court or under a Youth Offender law, (4) any conviction set aside under the Federal Youth Corrections Act or similar state law, and (5) any conviction for which the record was expunged under Federal or state law​
9. During the last 10 years, have you been convicted, been imprisoned, been on probation, or been on parole? (Includes felonies, firearms or explosives violations, misdemeanors, and all other offenses.) If "YES," use item 16 to provide the date, explanation of the violation, place of occurrence, and the name and address of the police department or court involved.

10. Have you been convicted by a military court-martial in the past 10 years? (If no military service, answer "NO.") If "YES," use item 16 to provide the date, explanation of the violation, place of occurrence, and the name and address of the military authority or court involved.

11. Are you now under charges for any violation of law? If "YES," use item 16 to provide the date, explanation of the violation, place of occurrence, and the name and address of the police department or court involved.​

Just be honest. Chances are the recency of the events will play into your favor. You can do searches of situations that people have appealed denial of security clearances and then been approved. If you try to hide it and they find it, they will give you a second opportunity to admit it or they may deny it altogether. If they give you a second chance, tell them you forgot about it and admit everything. If they don't give you a second chance, appeal the denial, apologize and explain that you forgot, and admit everything. Be as thorough as possible. They may also deny an interim clearance (which normally takes less than 2 weeks) and then approve you for the final clearance based on the investigation. However, all you need is the interim clearance to be issued for a FOL and a school date. The investigators are real people too and know that not everyone is perfect, but as long as you don't have a history of repeatedly doing stupid things and the things are not too recent, you should be fine.

Big Will

I messed up and got a DWAI eight years ago, I admitted to it on all the paperwork and was hired. It certainly wont help you get the job but it will not necessarily ruin your chances to get the job. Good luck.

One of my soldiers got a DUI and lost her security clearance, got kicked out of ATC, and had to change MOS's (military job). From what I know you lose the clearance after one alcohol related incident. I don't know if that only applies after you already have the clearance or if it is in your past -but that is what I know on the topic. :)

Thats after youve received the clearance, plus they don't mess around in the military.I was doing some research online, I think everything will be alright with mine being so long ago.

One of my soldiers got a DUI and lost her security clearance, got kicked out of ATC, and had to change MOS's (military job). From what I know you lose the clearance after one alcohol related incident. I don't know if that only applies after you already have the clearance or if it is in your past -but that is what I know on the topic. :)
It depends on your unit. My squadron has had a few guys get DUI's over the years but they didn't lose their clearance (all aircrew must have minimum secret).

Back