Which route would you take?

Flybub

Hey all. I'm getting back in the saddle after not flying for nearly 15 years and I'm interested in how you all would approach what I'm facing regarding an instruct/place to train.

I have my commercial and instrument and looking to get my flight review and IPC done before moving on to get my CFI. I found a club at an airport roughly 45 minutes from me with really good rates for both planes and instructor. There only 2 full time instructors and the only one who has an opening is an old fella who I have nothing against, but just rubbed me the wrong way from the word go. He never flew jets or turbo props and has been instructing since the 70's. He tends to throw dirt on the other instructor, but whatever. I'm supposed to start flying with him next week, but just his tone and attitude pushes me away.

Unfortunately the planes certainly show their age. They are pretty beat up and some people have said the maintenance is okay at best, but they stay there because the rates are cheap. Their 182RG has been out of service for 6 months. He told me right off the bat there will not be an ipad in the plane. The planes are not GPS equipped (there goes my enthusiasm for doing RNAV approaches, and my wife bought me an iPad for my birthday). I brought up the ADS-B and he said it's for the birds and he'll quit flying when that day comes. I don't disagree with learning how to fly by the 6 pack and looking out the windows, but today's technology can really help us pilots make better decisions faster if trained correctly.

I'm 37 and I told him my intentions are to get my CFI and CFII and eventually go corporate or maybe a regional. His response, "Good luck with that, I don't see it happening". This was after 10 minutes of first meeting him.

There is an FBO closer to me and the Chief Instructor is a former 767 captain and a guy who you could sit at the airport and talk aviation with until the cows come home. He told me to shoot for the stars because it is certainly possible. Really nice aircraft that are all GPS equipped and the instructors are all super nice. Unfortunately, their rates are much higher.

At this point I'm tempted to pay more for a guy who supports what I'm working towards than some grumpy instructor who does not have much respect for anyone else.

Anyone ever been in this spot? Cheap rates, beat up airplanes, and an instructor who seems to not even want you there. Or more expensive rates, nice airplanes, and instructors who have a passion for what they do.

Run don't walk away from this guy. He has an opening for a reason. His bad attitude is going to affect you pretty quick and you'll start to loathe going to fly with him. He also is probably going to be very negative about current accepted practices in training. Likely it's going to affect your training and your checkride. Especially if he is anti technology. Everything these days uses GPS. And ADSB isn't just a good idea its required very soon.

Run don't walk away from this guy. He has an opening for a reason. His bad attitude is going to affect you pretty quick and you'll start to loathe going to fly with him. He also is probably going to be very negative about current accepted practices in training. Likely it's going to affect your training and your checkride. Especially if he is anti technology. Everything these days uses GPS. And ADSB isn't just a good idea its required very soon.
This ...
The negative attitude alone would make my decision. People like that can kill your ambition and goals quickly.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm considering doing my flight review and my IPC with the club and then move on for my CFI, II. Thanks again for the replies.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm considering doing my flight review and my IPC with the club and then move on for my CFI, II. Thanks again for the replies.
Do it all in the same place. It will help in the long run, and your instructor and the school will know your skill and knowledge level, and where to help you. Let them know your goals, and it sounds like they'll be the better fit for you.

It'll cost more to go cheap, and transfer over, with them not knowing you.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

A lot of examiners are pro technology and want you to utilize your resources. A handful have told me they never minded my students using the iPads, just as long as they know what do to if they lost the iPad. Anyways, that's a whole different conversation. Like said above, I wouldn't even pay a dollar to that old grump. Not worth your time and it can easily effect the way you fly and passion you have. This guy sounds like he got robbed in his aviation career so he's taking it out on students. I wouldn't even do your flight review or IPC with him unless finances are absolutely imperative. Who knows he could fail you and make you come back for more, which will cost more.

Also, it shows his blatant ignorance that he said he doesn't see you moving on to a regional or charter. Clearly he has no idea what he's talking about. Even if the industry was in a downward spiral there are better ways to communicate something like that. In this case though, he's just flat out wrong.

Hey all. I'm getting back in the saddle after not flying for nearly 15 years and I'm interested in how you all would approach what I'm facing regarding an instruct/place to train.

I have my commercial and instrument and looking to get my flight review and IPC done before moving on to get my CFI. I found a club at an airport roughly 45 minutes from me with really good rates for both planes and instructor. There only 2 full time instructors and the only one who has an opening is an old fella who I have nothing against, but just rubbed me the wrong way from the word go. He never flew jets or turbo props and has been instructing since the 70's. He tends to throw dirt on the other instructor, but whatever. I'm supposed to start flying with him next week, but just his tone and attitude pushes me away.

Unfortunately the planes certainly show their age. They are pretty beat up and some people have said the maintenance is okay at best, but they stay there because the rates are cheap. Their 182RG has been out of service for 6 months. He told me right off the bat there will not be an ipad in the plane. The planes are not GPS equipped (there goes my enthusiasm for doing RNAV approaches, and my wife bought me an iPad for my birthday). I brought up the ADS-B and he said it's for the birds and he'll quit flying when that day comes. I don't disagree with learning how to fly by the 6 pack and looking out the windows, but today's technology can really help us pilots make better decisions faster if trained correctly.

I'm 37 and I told him my intentions are to get my CFI and CFII and eventually go corporate or maybe a regional. His response, "Good luck with that, I don't see it happening". This was after 10 minutes of first meeting him.

There is an FBO closer to me and the Chief Instructor is a former 767 captain and a guy who you could sit at the airport and talk aviation with until the cows come home. He told me to shoot for the stars because it is certainly possible. Really nice aircraft that are all GPS equipped and the instructors are all super nice. Unfortunately, their rates are much higher.

At this point I'm tempted to pay more for a guy who supports what I'm working towards than some grumpy instructor who does not have much respect for anyone else.

Anyone ever been in this spot? Cheap rates, beat up airplanes, and an instructor who seems to not even want you there. Or more expensive rates, nice airplanes, and instructors who have a passion for what they do.

Advice from my dad (who is a CFI) is to do what is safe and pick the school that will make you the safest pilot and safest instructor.

The grumpy guy may be cheaper per hour, but he'll be a lot more expensive in the long run with the likely extra training you'll have to do because you don't get along and the probable check ride failures using him.

Nothing wrong with old airplanes and half busted crap that manages to fly held together by speed tape and prayers. It's what commercial aviation runs on. But he doesn't have to be an ass about it.

I am almost 41. Just about to start as a CFI. You aren’t late. You have 25+ years on to a great career. Just watch what you eat and walk 10K steps a day ...

Back