Which FARs do you want deleted?

Funny you say that, because that's exactly where I saw that Citation doing 320 knots for no reason. Regional approach asked me if I could identify the type so they could track him down later.

Could have only been one type...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For Internet bonus points, what accident led to holding speed restrictions, and what accident led to 250kts below 10k?

I'd love to know - because honestly I think it's dumb.

Even if it was a heinous and terrible accident, I can't see it being that likely to occur again if we all had ADS-B.

I could at least see something where we had an increased speed within the mode-C veil or whatever.

200kts through a VFR corridor while in class B requires charts that we are not given. I mean, you'd need a TAC chart for every class B in the nation and then to sit there and make yourself "locally" familiar for when approach gives you a vector through it.
I'm amazed that 121 pilots aren't given VFR charts...especially with EFBs becoming prevalent. I go into satellite airports under B all the time in the Citation and a couple minutes of familiarization in cruise is about all it takes to figure out where I'll most likely have to slow down. Guess I'm still a piston pilot at heart.

Seriously, some basic SA with a sectional and your eyeballs keeps you from putting your shiny white Airbus on an Air Force runway.

I'd love to know - because honestly I think it's dumb.

Even if it was a heinous and terrible accident, I can't see it being that likely to occur again if we all had ADS-B.

I could at least see something where we had an increased speed within the mode-C veil or whatever.

No one's got any guesses? :)

Hint (probably obvious): they both involved midair collisions.

200.webp

I'd like to correct myself on the holding speed as a result of a midair. After finding the report online and reading it, I was incorrect to state that this particular crash led to holding speeds. This one was the NYC Midair collision of 1960 between a TWA Connie and a United DC8. The United DC8 had a clearance limit of Preston intersection and was expected to hold there, but with the shortcut of victor airways before that shortened their route by about 10nm, along with traveling at high speed (~300 kts) they ended up beyond the Preston intersection. They never held.

But bonus question still, what midair led to 250 knots max below 10k everywhere (as opposed to before when it was 250 kts within 30nm of the destination airport for airliners). Hint that it was later / after this 1960 NYC midair.

Back