Where do I start? WOFT, OTS, etc...

NickC70

Hi--I'm 28 years old and will be 29 this summer. I am working as a computer programmer and I don't enjoy it that much--I am naturally more of an athlete / operator than a programmer, and I love operating all types of vehicles and devices. I have also become more and more patriotic over the last several years. I would like to begin a career as a military pilot. I have started training for my PPL and would love to fly either fixed wing or rotary. My instinct ranks the options fighters -> bombers, helos, then heavies.

I constantly think about flying, and so I think I might be better suited to be a Warrant Officer--do Marine or Navy WO's have an option to fly fixed wing?

I'm also pretty good at taking standardized tests (I haven't taken the military tests yet--do I schedule them through a recruiter?)--however, I don't know the best way to start the process. Do I contact a recruiter and start talking to him?

I found this page and it looks promising. http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

Yes, I know I waited a long time to get to this point. I would have applied to the USAFA but my eyes aren't up to snuff. As I neared 28, a family friend went up in Bob Lutz's L-39, and I realized that the door was rapidly closing for me to become a military aviator. I looked into it, and found that Lasik and PRK are options now, and so now I'm considering one of the branches. Any advice much appreciated.

I think that WO is my only real option, but if there is a chance to join the AF or one of the other branches, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I would like to fly, if that isn't already clear!

Pro:
Bachelors of Science in Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering from Duke
3.4 ME GPA
Healthy, 170lbs
CAP member
clean record

Cons:
2.9 overall GPA, rising up a lot senior year in my hardest classes.
20/70 vision, correctable to 20/15 left 20/20 right
Age, obviously
tall, 6'4"
no prior service

Hi--I'm 28 years old and will be 29 this summer. I am working as a computer programmer and I don't enjoy it that much--I am naturally more of an athlete / operator than a programmer, and I love operating all types of vehicles and devices. I have also become more and more patriotic over the last several years. I would like to begin a career as a military pilot. I have started training for my PPL and would love to fly either fixed wing or rotary. My instinct ranks the options fighters -> bombers, helos, then heavies.

I constantly think about flying, and so I think I might be better suited to be a Warrant Officer--do Marine or Navy WO's have an option to fly fixed wing?

I'm also pretty good at taking standardized tests (I haven't taken the military tests yet--do I schedule them through a recruiter?)--however, I don't know the best way to start the process. Do I contact a recruiter and start talking to him?

I found this page and it looks promising. http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/index.htm

Yes, I know I waited a long time to get to this point. I would have applied to the USAFA but my eyes aren't up to snuff. As I neared 28, a family friend went up in Bob Lutz's L-39, and I realized that the door was rapidly closing for me to become a military aviator. I looked into it, and found that Lasik and PRK are options now, and so now I'm considering one of the branches. Any advice much appreciated.

I think that WO is my only real option, but if there is a chance to join the AF or one of the other branches, I'd be interested in hearing about it. I would like to fly, if that isn't already clear!

Pro:
Bachelors of Science in Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering from Duke
3.4 ME GPA
Healthy, 170lbs
CAP member
clean record

Cons:
2.9 overall GPA, rising up a lot senior year in my hardest classes.
20/70 vision, correctable to 20/15 left 20/20 right
Age, obviously
tall, 6'4"
no prior service

Why do you feel that being 6'4" is a con?

Your biggest issue is your age, if you want to do it then you need to get crackin. If you want to fly airplanes, you should check into some of the FW Army guard and reserve units. If you go active duty the you have a very strong (99%) chance of getting helicopters.

The easiest way to answer your question: Shotgun applications to every unit you can find. You have a finite amount of time before your window closes.

Don't go Warrant....I don't need any more competition! :D

Now for something constructive:
You have to commission (Army) by 30. Rumor has it that is changing though (increase to 37). Check out ArmyOCS.com for A LOT of OCS and Warrant information.

Air Force, Navy, Marines are the fighter flyers. Air Force is probably not a good idea because they are looking to ax 10,500 officers (according to airforcetimes.com). The Air Force and Navy have their own OTS forums (ironically enough airforceots.com and usnavyocs.com)

Check out reserves and guard too. The airframe is guaranteed if the unit has a vacancy.

Good luck and hope it helps.

Shoot me any questions you have and I'll do what I can to answer them. I'm currently working on my WOFT packet. I can help you with that. The OCS is process similar to WOCS process.

also I think your vision is good enough to not need corrective vision and still fly in the Air Force, although that could have changed since I last looked.

Back