When did you feel ready to upgrade?

Besides the money, don’t ever leave money on the table, if you go out on medical...70% of a bigger number is a bigger number. Also, I don’t get the whole, “ I didn’t feel ready”...then you shouldn’t be in the right seat as well. You won’t see every situation, won’t have the answer in your head, that is why you make a call or look it up. All you need to know is, nothing is an emergency, unless you make it one, and if it’s fire, explosion...I assure you, you probably won’t see it in the right seat, before you go to the left...sack up and move up...
With all the weird crap I had to deal with my first few months as a captain a V1 cut would have almost been way less of a headache.

With all the weird crap I had to deal with my first few months as a captain a V1 cut would have almost been way less of a headache.
Well, yeah - you're trained ad nauseum for a V1 cut, theory being that the two worst pilots in any given category on the worst day of the year can go make the takeoff at maximum weight, can the engine, struggle through the EO SID and not hit the mountain.

Besides the money, don’t ever leave money on the table, if you go out on medical...70% of a bigger number is a bigger number. Also, I don’t get the whole, “ I didn’t feel ready”...then you shouldn’t be in the right seat as well. You won’t see every situation, won’t have the answer in your head, that is why you make a call or look it up. All you need to know is, nothing is an emergency, unless you make it one, and if it’s fire, explosion...I assure you, you probably won’t see it in the right seat, before you go to the left...sack up and move up...

giphy.gif

I was pretty nervous my first trip as a King Air captain. Back in 2008? I've since gone through the upgrade process at a Citation X operator, I hired into a Falcon 900 as a captain and with 121 I've yet to have the opportunity. Like many here.

I think when things depend on you, you'll be nervous if you truly grasp the amount of responsibility you do have.

Angry ground people at LUV pissed we had to pull back into the gate on my first trip was a fun intro to this paradigm.

Mine was the front FA on a CRJ 700 coming up during boarding (no jetway) and saying "an old lady fell going up the stairs and crapped herself. What should we do?"

I had a flight control computer failure, followed by a "security incident" at SFO, followed by getting screamed at by an angry passenger after we timed out waiting for parts.

That was day 2, though, at least on day one things were pretty smooth, my first landing was Burbank in the rain, at least I stopped before the EMAS haha.

Back