When did they notify your place of employment?

chriscimino

Title says it all. I should be getting a TOL the 8th of next month. I'm planning on giving my employer a heads up on the 8th but if they are sending the packet before then I would rather let them know sooner.

Title says it all. I should be getting a TOL the 8th of next month. I'm planning on giving my employer a heads up on the 8th but if they are sending the packet before then I would rather let them know sooner.

They don't send out letters until after you get your TOL... you'll fill out your SF85 or 86 that day and then I believe it's 2-3 weeks after they send out the letters/questionairres.

And then its a few months to a year after that before you go to the academy....:sarcasm:(with a hint of reality). So hopefully, they don't take that as your two week notice lol.

Unless you're expecting to go to OKC within a few weeks of getting the TOL, I wouldn't let my employer know until I had a firm offer letter in hand and preferably not until 2-3 weeks before you are scheduled for OKC. If you can afford not to work for a few weeks/months and/or don't care much for the job you have right now, go ahead.

Last time I gave notice to an employer about a new job, I got a couple of extra days off at the end of the last week I was supposed to be there. Since it was due to a continuing squabble that my company had with a manager at a business we provided services to, my company just went ahead and paid me for the rest of the week anyway. Point is, don't be surprised if someone who has a bone to pick with you creates some phony BS to kick you out the door early if they know you've got something else lined up. If its just a few extra days, that's one thing. But if you get booted with a couple of months to go and have no other source of income/savings, it could put you in a world of hurt.

Unless you're expecting to go to OKC within a few weeks of getting the TOL, I wouldn't let my employer know until I had a firm offer letter in hand and preferably not until 2-3 weeks before you are scheduled for OKC. If you can afford not to work for a few weeks/months and/or don't care much for the job you have right now, go ahead.

Last time I gave notice to an employer about a new job, I got a couple of extra days off at the end of the last week I was supposed to be there. Since it was due to a continuing squabble that my company had with a manager at a business we provided services to, my company just went ahead and paid me for the rest of the week anyway. Point is, don't be surprised if someone who has a bone to pick with you creates some phony BS to kick you out the door early if they know you've got something else lined up. If its just a few extra days, that's one thing. But if you get booted with a couple of months to go and have no other source of income/savings, it could put you in a world of hurt.

unless they boot you, and you go on unemployment, then take the reduced benefit while you're in OKC since the salary is so low.
shady, yes. But I'm just sayin...

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer. I know they won't fire me when I do turn in. I'm in good with the boss.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be waiting a bit longer. I know they won't fire me when I do turn in. I'm in good with the boss.

That gun concerns me... how'd you do on your MMPI? I kid, I kid.

This is what comes to mind when I see someone with a gun fascination...

full-metal-jacket.jpg

unless they boot you, and you go on unemployment, then take the reduced benefit while you're in OKC since the salary is so low.
shady, yes. But I'm just sayin...

If you were terminated, you probably can't collect unemployment. I've known someone that this happened to before and didn't have a paycheck for over a month as a result. There are some truly vindictive people out there who try their damnedest to make someone else's life miserable.

I would think the per-diem would be viewed as compensation in most states and would make you totally ineligible for unemployment anyway.

One thing they stress to everyone at the PEPC is don't quit your job till you have an FOL and a class date. Because your date could be in a far off land.

I see you're from Tulsa...what facility are you going to?

Thanks Skier. Thats good info. I'm not going the PEPC route so I'm glad you posted that.

Sooner

I'm 90% sure i'm going to TUL. I won't have to relocate. Also a lvl 9 facility is going to be a great level to start at. I can move up if I get bored but I'll probably stay here.

If you were terminated, you probably can't collect unemployment. I've known someone that this happened to before and didn't have a paycheck for over a month as a result. There are some truly vindictive people out there who try their damnedest to make someone else's life miserable.

I would think the per-diem would be viewed as compensation in most states and would make you totally ineligible for unemployment anyway.

Untrue, actually.
if you were terminated due to no fault of your own, you can collect. Shopping for another job doesn't matter.
Per diem is expense reimbursement, not compensation.

Untrue, actually.
if you were terminated due to no fault of your own, you can collect. Shopping for another job doesn't matter.

What about At-will employment states? Where either party can break the relationship with no liability. any hiring is presumed to be "at will"; that is, the employer is free to discharge individuals "for good cause, or bad cause, or no cause at all," and the employee is equally free to quit, strike, or otherwise cease work.

Untrue, actually.

That's called getting laid off, not being fired. I was referring to someone using it as an excuse to get rid of someone. Although you'd probably win on an appeal when you're denied unemployment if they can't produce any kind of documentation regarding poor job performance, attendence issues, etc., is it really worth the hassle vs. what your current salary is?

I know per diem in the eyes of the IRS is reimbursement, but unemployment rules are funny about things like that. If you were to try to collect unemployment because of the difference between what unemployment pays in your state vs. the wage you are paid at OKC, the state would probably want to see where every dime of that per diem went and anything you pocketed would probably be viewed as additional compensation. So you'd better have a receipts showing you spent $80 per day or you could be faced with having to pay back the state later on down the road.

That's called getting laid off, not being fired. I was referring to someone using it as an excuse to get rid of someone. Although you'd probably win on an appeal when you're denied unemployment if they can't produce any kind of documentation regarding poor job performance, attendence issues, etc., is it really worth the hassle vs. what your current salary is?

I know per diem in the eyes of the IRS is reimbursement, but unemployment rules are funny about things like that. If you were to try to collect unemployment because of the difference between what unemployment pays in your state vs. the wage you are paid at OKC, the state would probably want to see where every dime of that per diem went and anything you pocketed would probably be viewed as additional compensation. So you'd better have a receipts showing you spent $80 per day or you could be faced with having to pay back the state later on down the road.

If you are terminated at no fault of your own there is a chance that you will qualify for umemployment compensation.

Usually the term "laid off" is considered a less severe form of involuntary termination. A layoff is usually not strictly related to personal performance but due to economic cycles or the company's need to restructure itself, or a change in function of the employer. Often, layoffs occur as a result of "downsizing", "reduction in force", or "redundancy". These are not technically classified as firings.

To be fired, as opposed to being laid off, is generally thought of to be the employee's fault.. If an employee is fired after telling their employer that they are seeking employment with another company, it is the employees fault that they were fired. The employee was not laid off since there was not restructuring or change in function of the employer.:D

That's called getting laid off, not being fired.

No, it isn't. And the caveat there is at no fault of your own except for lack of work.
In any event I don't think there's any difference if you're terminated, even if they call it a "lay off"

As my father was a small business owner and in my highschool years I spent quite a lot of time working for him, I've seen quite a lot of time watching the system at work. I've seen people fired for stealing from the company awarded benefits, I've seen people walk off the job awarded benefits, and in this sue happy day and age, very few companies will even contest the decision, and the decision is always with the employee until it's contested.

I had an employer fire me for the courtesy of giving notice once, and yes, I collected unemployment for 2 weeks before I started my new job.

Back