What's this I hear..............

teenadie

Just watched a video clip on cnn.com about the FAA hiring teenagers fresh out of high school. Could this be for real?? what about the work/education requirements? just throwing them out the window??

My son starts college in August at Geneva College in the Business/Aviation program and will be also attending Community College of Beaver County for ATC.

Should he just apply now and forget about the CTI route? I would think any kid with the CTI training and an Associates and Bachlors degree is going to be a much better ATC than one has no education. There will still be a shortage when he gets done.

What do you think?

Just watched a video clip on cnn.com about the FAA hiring teenagers fresh out of high school. Could this be for real?? what about the work/education requirements? just throwing them out the window??

My son starts college in August at Geneva College in the Business/Aviation program and will be also attending Community College of Beaver County for ATC.

Should he just apply now and forget about the CTI route? I would think any kid with the CTI training and an Associates and Bachlors degree is going to be a much better ATC than one has no education. There will still be a shortage when he gets done.

What do you think?

Refer to this thread where a lot of your questions will be answered....
http://forums.jetcareers.com/air-tr...aa-hires-teens.html?highlight=faa+hires+teens

What do you think?

You don't need a degree to become an air traffic controller. Just a lot of on the job training and the ability to speak english. Even broken english will work.

You don't need a degree to become an air traffic controller. Just a lot of on the job training and the ability to speak english. Even broken english will work.

True that!
I've heard this Asian guy on NorCal Tracon that is a bit hard to understand if he talks fast.

Also a guy at Monterey Tower has a Spanish/Latino accent that makes him a bit hard to understand.

It's a bit surprising these individuals were hired... the FAA never really checks your speech clarity do they? (except for the interview)

It's a bit surprising these individuals were hired... the FAA never really checks your speech clarity do they? (except for the interview)

You answered your own question. The interview is supposed to be when they determine if you're coherent enough to understand, though from what I've been hearing, if you're totally incomprehensible in OKC they'd pull you.

At least that's how it goes on paper. Clearly it's a different story when you fire up liveatc.net and hear some of these guys. ...pun not intended.

Back