What's my next step?

Captdave

I was denied my deferred medical due to being prescribed januvia and glimperide together. I'm calling my doctor tomorrow to advise him that I need to not take the glimperide which I'm sure he will agree with. My last A1C was 5.6.

What's my next step with OKC and what should I expect? I can take the metformin and januvia together but not the glimperide. Will I have to do another 90 day A1C lab report again?

The letter said something about a possible 2 week period. I need to get back to work ASAP! I've been grounded since June and just finished my 61.58 at FSI. I'm ready to go back to work and the jet owner has already spent a small fortune for contract pilots!

PLEASE give me some hope that this will be just a minor delay!

Thank you for your guidance.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If they stop the glimperide and start another drug, and you are stable at 2 weeks, you can send the FAA the information and they will probably issue you a medical. Januvia (sitagliptin) can only be used with metformin and/or the thiazolidinediones.

This is why I always recommend piltos call their AME when a non-AME physician is going to prescribe medication. Good advice early on saves a lot of hassles later.

Thank you for your response. I'm waiting for the doctor to return my call now.

Just got off the phone with the doctor. He wants me to stay on the glimperide and not take the januvia. Will that work with the FAA without another waiting period?

That will work but you must send the FAA a copy of the progress note from the physician to inform them of the plan. You currently do not hold a valid medical until they know you are no longer on the Januvia-glimiperide combination.If you look closely at the letter, it states you are not qualified but they have not denied your certificate at this time. They gave you options for treatment that were acceptable and want to be informed of what you are doing.

The FAA wil send you a letter and a valid medical certificate after they approve the change.

Thank you for your reply, I really appreciate it. I'm going to the doctors office tomorrow to pick up the new letter to forward to OKC. My A1C was 5.6 less than 30 days ago so even if I would go up a point by not taking the januvia, I am still well within limits. I need to get back to work ASAP!

Back