What’s more important?

badtransam97

Curious to see what you guys think..so a very quick background...used to fly helo EMS, now fly 767 as FO for 5Y.
Been approached by old EMS company to go back and fly for them for starting pay of 82k/yr with a 5k signing bonus.
I’d be home each day and work 7/7 schedule with the HEMS gig, compared to the variation of schedule with 5Y, but basically work 17 days a month.
I’m torn between being home every day and having good QOL and family time versus possibly one day getting big money at the airlines...
We are wanting to start a family soon and I honestly feel like being home is worth more than trying to make big money at FDX or UPS etc...that’s really the toughest pill I’m trying to swallow is giving up the “possibility” of a big salary and retirement for QOL and being home daily.
Anyways, just thought I’d see what opinions I got here.

I'm at UPS and I still think, even with all the hiring we are doing, it's still going to be very hard to get on here as it's a top tier job. So, I wouldn't weigh UPS or Fedex in your decision as the odds are just against it actually happening. Nothing personal but we have that stupid Hogan test and you need recs so even with everything in your favor one is still making quite a gamble to shoot for only Fedex or UPS.

I think Atlas will eventually get a contract. With so many people using it as a stepping stone you could find yourself senior faster. Unless you hate the flying I'd stick with that as things are bound to get better.

Then you said "being home every day". I mean, if that's important to you, then there is great value in that. I guess what scares me is the uncertainty of EMS and 135 in general. Can you honestly say nothing will change with that in 20 years? If so, being home every night is a big draw, and then ask yourself what you need to make? 100K for the rest of your life? I'd say you have a good chance at working half the month for 250K plus at Atlas in time. If it was me, I'd go Atlas in a heartbeat, all things considered and how I look at things but YMMV.

I really believe EMS aviation companies are going to face a big correction in the next few years. Between consolidation (ie AMGH just bought 7Bar), saturation, and continued (for now) hiding under the umbrella of Deregulation, and unnecessary $50k transfers, there is a lot of uncertainty.

I really believe EMS aviation companies are going to face a big correction in the next few years. Between consolidation (ie AMGH just bought 7Bar), saturation, and continued (for now) hiding under the umbrella of Deregulation, and unnecessary $50k transfers, there is a lot of uncertainty.
I would have though the “pilot shortage” would accelerate that, but at least in the PNW it seems like there’s new bases opening all the time. I like the job but this portion of the industry baffles me and defies everything I learned about business working at the air taxi gig.

As imperfect as things are here at beachball, I'd stay. Yeah, the EMS job might be the best fit for your current walk of life, I think 5Y leads to more career/earning advancement down the road...even if it means staying here.

What about jumping to an LCC? It’s not the cush standby at home EMS schedule but it’d be better than 17 days a month circling the world, and considering the better benes it wouldn’t take much longevity to equal your $85k.

Back