What was old is new again!

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
One of the captain's I used to fly with in DFW early retired.

A few months ago, he re-applied for Southernjets and was hired as a brand new 737FO in LAX.

I think ("think!") I can almost hold 737 captain in LAX now, wouldn't that be odd to be the captain OF a captain whom I used to fly with as FO.

(And before you ask, if you early retire and re-apply as a new hire pilot down the road, you do not recapture your seniority)

That is bizarre.

I assume he still gets the retirement benefits that he took early-out for?

I was talking to a DL 737 pilot in the elevator coming up from the crew room in LAX a few months ago and he said mostly all he does is redeyes to the east coast. Though BDL, JAX, BOS, RDU etc. are gone or about to go. Is it shrinking at all?

If he earlied-out, he's already got the lump sum. But depending on age of when he retired, the age he is now and a good dose of "other", it may or may not be enough to actually be retired on.

I was talking to a DL 737 pilot in the elevator coming up from the crew room in LAX a few months ago and he said mostly all he does is redeyes to the east coast. Though BDL, JAX, BOS, RDU etc. are gone or about to go. Is it shrinking at all?

No idea. Rumor has it, but there haven't been any displacements out of the category to date.

One of the captain's I used to fly with in DFW early retired.

A few months ago, he re-applied for Southernjets and was hired as a brand new 737FO in LAX.

I think ("think!") I can almost hold 737 captain in LAX now, wouldn't that be odd to be the captain OF a captain whom I used to fly with as FO.

(And before you ask, if you early retire and re-apply as a new hire pilot down the road, you do not recapture your seniority)

Who you kidding....You'll never leave the luxury of flying huge chunks of metal across the ocean..... :D

Back