what stops you from receiveing a medical

thehobbit

I'm wondering what are some of the things that can keep you from getting your medical? such as a concussion or multiple ones, or having only one good eye.

The following conditions are listed in the regulations as disqualifying medical conditions; however, in many cases when the condition is adequately controlled, the FAA will issue medical certification contingent on periodic reports.

• Angina pectoris
  • Bipolar disease
  • Cardiac valve replacement
  • Coronary heart disease that has been treated or, if untreated, that has been symptomatic or clinically significant
  • Diabetes mellitus requiring hypoglycemic medications
  • Disturbance of consciousness without satisfactory explanation of cause
  • Epilepsy
  • Heart replacement
  • Myocardial infarction
  • Permanent cardiac pacemaker
  • Personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts
  • Psychosis
  • Substance abuse
  • Substance dependence
  • Transient loss of control of nervous system function(s) without satisfactory explanation of cause.
There are other problems but each is addressed on an individual basis. If you have a question about a specific condition, I can try to answer it.

Dear My Flight Surgeon,

I am a new forum member and a 27 year old private pilot interested in an aviation career. Four months ago, I had an episode lasting 24 hours where a light sensation of numbness or tingling gradually spread from my left leg to my left arm and face. I was able to lift, move, and feel normally.

A CT scan from a rural emergency room determined I did not have a stroke or TIA. The doctor suggested I consult a neurologist if symptoms persist. Symptoms disappeared the next day and have not reappeared. I am hoping the sensations were due to a tweaked muscle, sedentary position, or fatigue from two consecutive 14 hour work days driving and unloading a semi-truck.

I am not sure whether I need to ground myself as per FAR 61.53. I am not sure what specific tests, documentation, or proof I will need, if any, from my primary doctor, neurologist, or AME to clear this. Was my situation a "transient loss of control of nervous system function (s) without satisfactory medical explanation of the cause" as per FAR 67.109? What is the exact definition of loss of nervous system function? Should I bring this up to an AME and wait months for the FAA to get back to me? Should I ground myself until I get a brain MRI from a neurologist and then see an AME?

Thank you for any insights on how I can move forward.

Thank you,
Hopeful pilot

Back