What MEL would you eliminate?

I think they do. At least overseas. I am sure that the computer systems translates all the equipment codes into something easy for them. I would need to ask an ATC friend to verify that. Like you said, it's just easier to ask instead of looking at the strip. What gets me about that verbiage, for example, is if I have 2 HF's installed and 1 is on MEL, there is no ATC code for 1 HF. No code surgery is necessary. I suppose I could Item 18 the strip with 1 HF Inop, but who has time for that.

Would it be different with 1 HF vs 2? You still have the equipment capability for HF, just not the redundancy of having 2. As long as you are authorized via MEL to dispatch that way, I don't know how it would make a difference operationally to ATC. Either radio can monitor either freq. I'm asking here, for my own edification, BTW

You could have the nav databases corrupted by a bad update on multiple planes. VOR to VOR all day long. Wonder how that will work when the MON is completed.
Had that happen with a corrupted backup twice.It affected multiple planes each time and was a very frustrating day lol

Would it be different with 1 HF vs 2? You still have the equipment capability for HF, just not the redundancy of having 2. As long as you are authorized via MEL to dispatch that way, I don't know how it would make a difference operationally to ATC. Either radio can monitor either freq. I'm asking here, for my own edification, BTW
Your understanding is correct. No difference between having 1 or 2 from an ATC POV. ATC equipment code H just signifies that you are HF equipped and that’s it. Company might require SATCOM as a backup if 1 is out, YMMV. If both are out, then H will be removed and your flying world possibly becomes much smaller. 2 out at my shop states that route of flight has to be within VHF range the entire way.

Back