What kinda headsets are you guys using?

Tram

Just what the title says..

Anyone using the Lightspeed headsets? I am looking at the Lightspeed Twenty 3G or the Lightspeed Thirty 3G..

What do you use?

I dont have Lightspeeds yet but from several friends who do they love them. The have the older version but he said he would trade them for nothing except new lightspeeds..

Yeh, it appears that lightspeeds seem to be the favorite among many.
smile.gif

I used my buddies once and I couldnt believe how quiet and light and comforable they were. The DC's seems light a vice on my head after about 2 hrs.

Does the David Clark H 10-13.4 even compare to the lightspeeds? Thats what I currently have and have been using for the past couple of years but I have yet to tryout any other type of headset.

I got a LS 15xl about two months ago. The noise canceling is so so and it does tend to eat batteries (although they are just standard AA). That said it is really comfortable even with sunglasses tucked in for several hours. I had it on for about 4 hours today and while it was nice to take it off at the end, I was in no discomfort what so ever. Definatly worth the money I spent on it. I would imagen that the 20 and 30g models are that much better.

Ethan

I have a Flightcom Denali (Passive) and love it. It is SO comfortable on those long 7-8 hours in the plane. I've tried several others over the years and the Denali is the only one that my ears and head dont ache after a few hours. Another instructor in Dallas also uses one and I believe he shares the same opinion.

Jeremy

I have the lightspeed 20XL. they are nice I like them alot, but i think my old Flightcomm denali (ANR) were a little more comfortable. The DC 13.4 i borrowed were very comforable as well. I was impressed with how quiet the DC's were w/o ANR.

I have the DC 13.4s and have had no problems with them.

There is a looonnnggg thread (several probably) in the General Topics forum on this subject.

I use the BOSE. Also have a pair of DC's.

Bose are absolutely the most comfortable. The audio is good (but ask for the high-gain microphone). I have the 1-year old model (the 10 I believe), which uses a 9V battery -- very poor battery life and no automatic-off. They have an upgrade (and service is excellent) which extends the battery life, but still not as good as the brand-new model.

When the battery runs out, you're better of taking the headset off and listening to the overhead speaker.

Yes, I like them, but for $1000 they could certainly be better.

OK... You ready for this?

I'm currently using an old pair of Telex Proair 2000e's! Impressed yet?
smile.gif

I bought them on E-Bay for $50 when I was getting my PPL, and have since rebuilt them with a new hush kit, insulation, earseals, top cushion, & mic muf from Oregon Aero. They still weigh more than most newer models but they are wickedly comfortable and quieter (after the re-build) than most newer passives I've tried on the market today.

That being said... When I go ANR... I will be going Bose. I'll always keep my Proair's with me for freinds, family, and battery loss!
smile.gif

Bob

I am using the David Clark 13.4 headset.

I am extremely happy with this headset! I am glad I didn't shell out more $$$ for something that I would probably be just as happy with.

In the future, however, I am considering on buying the Bose Aviation X Headset. But at approximately $1,000, I think my consideration can WAIT!
smirk.gif

So it sounds like DC's, Lightspeeds and Bose are all highly reccomended..

I don't think I'll be shelling out the 1K for the Bose when the $600 Lightspeeds seem to be ranked up there with them.. I have tough ears..
smile.gif

I will check out the DC's though and see what I find..

<-- heads off to Sportys.com..

Head to marvgolden.com instead of Sporty's and save yourself some kizzash. If you're willing to spend in the neighborhood of $600 and are looking to eventually fly for a Part 121 carrier, do yourself a favor now and make sure whatever you buy is TSO'd so you don't find yourself having to buy a new headset that's legal to use on an airliner when you get to that point. DC, Bose, Telex and Sennheiser all go to the trouble, I don't think Lightspeed does.

Margolden has nice prices, but with my AOPA credit card, it makes sporty's right there with them..

I guess I need to keep looking.. I need to find out if Lightspeed's are TSO'd..

[ QUOTE ]
Head to marvgolden.com instead of Sporty's and save yourself some kizzash. If you're willing to spend in the neighborhood of $600 and are looking to eventually fly for a Part 121 carrier, do yourself a favor now and make sure whatever you buy is TSO'd so you don't find yourself having to buy a new headset that's legal to use on an airliner when you get to that point. DC, Bose, Telex and Sennheiser all go to the trouble, I don't think Lightspeed does.

[/ QUOTE ]

And I wish I had realized that a year ago, I would probably have bought the Bose.

So.. If I'm planning on making a career out of flying, I need to pick a headset that is TSO'd.. Got it!
smile.gif

Might have to pick up a DC, they seem to be just as popular as the Lightspeeds!

[ QUOTE ]
Margolden has nice prices, but with my AOPA credit card, it makes sporty's right there with them..

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want the best prices, I suggest Spinners Discount Pilot Shop. Their website is: http://www.spinnerspilotshop.com

I have purchased almost all my pilot equipment from them and they have delivered in 2 business days to California each time (at no additional charge).

They even called me to say "thanks" for using them!
cool.gif

Back