What is your way of preparing for training? Tips, tricks etc

For callouts I throw a tennis ball against a wall while I’m trying to force myself to undergo the rote memorization phase of training.
I tend to throw my worry ball against the wall on conference calls, myself
EAA22090-E636-4F81-AFB7-E791EBAF585A.jpeg

If you can choose your hotel do some research, if you're going to be there for a while a suite is much better. Having a kitchenette, a seperate bedroom from your study area, and laundry machines for the guests (doing laundry is therapeutic). Also check the local are for events that might be happening in the area, I was in DFW for a couple of weeks once and didn't realize the proximity to Cowboys Stadium. The Cowboys had a home game and the hotel went from a relatively peaceful place to a madhouse, had the same problem in Palm Springs once, I didn't realize "The White Party" was being held less than a mile away. Or if you enjoy people watching seek those places out, both were annoying and entertaining. And never look for a room in the Pheonix area during MLB spring training, I once stayed at the Mayo Clinic there as the last option. I was a smoker at the time and they were not impressed.

I have always done well with 3x5 index cards and hand written flash cards for limitations. I also get a lot of use out of the cockpit posters and for a new type-rating I’ve used post-it notes on the poster for systems information or limitations associated with different panels/buttons.

If your training department is worth anything the syllabus should be a great tool for review before every lesson. Reading through the checklist you’ll use for an emergency might answer some questions before you’re brain locked in the sim in the dark.

Chair fly. Chair fly your flows, procedures, emergencies, approaches, go-arounds, and anything else that is new or fleet specific. Visualizing an entire lesson or checkride is immensely helpful for me. I repeat these until I can do them with my eyes closed. Reaching for switches and knobs during flows and making hand and foot movements for maneuvers.

Back