What is a helo checkride like?

n57flyguy

Anyone care to share? I'm just curious to know if it would be similar to a fixed wing checkride, but with the concepts of a helo, in a helo. Thanks...

It's like it is in a plane, with just different maneuvers and knowledge areas. All my helo checkrides have been military and many have been really difficult. In the civilian world they follow the PTS like in airplanes. (ATM, or Aircrew Training Manual for us). Many things are sort of the same (straight and level, turns, climbs descents, x-cntry nav)- some things are completely different (slope landings, hovering, slingloads, autos). Not sure of it's the same in the civilian world, but we always got hammered on systems pretty heavily.

We do alot of performance in the oral, the rest is just like any check ride. The one I remember the most is a scenario about flying a buddy to a mountain cabin and then wanting to change a light bulb at that altitude. In effect can you OGE hover when you get there. It works really well because you get into the FARS, perfomance, knowledge of the ship POH stuff like that. I was really comfortable during the oral and it went well. The flight portion is just out of the PTS. But, now the PTS has changed so that a PPL has to do either a 180 auto, or confined space approach.
Shane

I see, thanks alot guys. A better question, what is the structur of helo training? I know every instructor is different, but what is the general outline of helo training?

We train the same as you guys. Straight and level, turns, approaches. The only real diffrence is our x/c are about 25 nm and we do not spend alot of time in the traffic patterns. Learning to hover takes a few hours and we do not solo until after 20 hrs. Learning autos is done in stages also. One thing I was taught was to do a two stage pick up, which they do not teach where I am at now.

Back