what headset do you have?

yoman793

hey all, i've got my ppl checkride on tuesday and am looking into buying a new headset for the rest of my training and time building. it would be nice to have a spare for when i take my gf or other friends on a trip. i am in between two headsets. my instructor raves about his flightcom denali and insists that i go that route. i like the feel of it and it sure is light (11.1 ounces). i have also been looking at the DC H10-13.4 headset. i know DC has a good reputation and it also looks pretty light at a 13.5 ounces. does anyone have either of these? any input on either one would be helpful.

also, should i be looking at a different headset? what does everyone else use on a daily basis? i would really like to spend between $250-$350. help me out! :rawk:

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
Save your sheckls and get a used DC. If you need a Technological Wonder headset, you can get one later when you've got more time and have a better idea what you need. I bought a DC H10-30 back in '93 and still rock the very same headset today. Thing's frickin bulletproof (knock on wood). Save you money for important things like whiskey and women.

Boris Badenov

Just running in to a burning house...
I've heard only good things about the Clarity's performance, but again, consider, if you want to blow $500 on a headset, do it later when you'll be wearing the thing all the time. Also: I've heard unsubstantiated reports that the Clarity makes it difficult to uh "scan the overhead panel" if you catch my drift.

majorityof1

I use the clarity alofts a ton and I dig them. I find that I can 'scan the overhead panel' just fine. You just gotta move the metal backing to the base of your neck... no problem though. I would recommend them for GA, but maybe not for a PPL who is unsure if they will stay in aviation. It is some cash to drop!

majorityof1

I use the clarity alofts a ton and I dig them. I find that I can 'scan the overhead panel' just fine. You just gotta move the metal backing to the base of your neck... no problem though. I would recommend them for GA, but maybe not for a PPL who is unsure if they will stay in aviation. It is some cash to drop!

scooter2525

Very well Member
images.jpg&2418.jpg

Until I get my Lightspeed 15XLC back... Lightspeeds got great customer service, although seems I send my product in about every year. :confused:

SFCC/UND

I got a light speed Zulu best investment I've ever made. FYI Zulu looks good with Oakley sun glasses.

yoman793

Save your sheckls and get a used DC. If you need a Technological Wonder headset, you can get one later when you've got more time and have a better idea what you need. I bought a DC H10-30 back in '93 and still rock the very same headset today. Thing's frickin bulletproof (knock on wood). Save you money for important things like whiskey and women.

:yeahthat:i'll remember to save my money for whiskey and women in the future.

but i still need a second headset for my pass. i think i want to go the dc route and get the DC 10-13.4 click here

or the flightcom way clickhere of course i'd get the blue, not the ugly yellow one.

what you think? both are around $270

ZachH

Well is out of your price range, But I will answer your title question- Bose X it was the money I have spend on my training to date :)

SteveC

Really?
Staff member
I still have a DC10-13.4. It's my backup now, but I think they are a great value.

Goonie

Never say die
I still have a DC10-13.4. It's my backup now, but I think they are a great value.
:yeahthat:

I bought mine about ten years ago and they are as good as the day I bought them. I had about 3000 hours on them before I hung them up. Never a problem!!

I have the X-11 now which are also great sets but like the Bose they are pricey and kinda too delicate. I'm used to throwing my old DC's around, and driving nails with them.

PGT

Yep. I got the DC10-13.4 and they are pretty good. The left ear piece quit working (it's about a year old) so I sent it in with a 3 week turnaround time.

I did one X/C that was 3.2; it was becoming less comfortable towards the end but maybe because they were almost new, I don't know.

Cheechako

Started my PPL training with just this in the mighty Cessna 152:

Then did the rest of my training in Cherokees with these (what was I thinking??):

Once I got a job instructing in 152s and Cherokees, I could afford these:

Then got these for Christmas one year, wore them in the Beech 18, King Air, and Brasilia:

When I started flying the RJ I tried just about everything under the sun:

And I've finally settled on these two in the 737:
to be TSO compliant:

and

fetching the above image of the UFlyMike adapter, I see they've just secured TSO certification for their adapters!! Woo Hoo!!

Thunder-Robo

DC H10-13.4
---- bought one used from a member here, very impressed with them, only an hour and a bit in them for my first solo, they felt really good, will be a keeper for sure.

Bose X
---- Did around 30 hours rotary with them, awesome headsets, just ordered GA plugs for them. But like many have said, these things need to be babied.

pilotsav27

BUY THE DC!! I have a set that I use very often and they rock! :rawk: I have the DC H10-13 Stereo! And they are amazing! I bought them originally as a training headset and thought I would later buy a "better" headset. LOL Not the case I will keep these until they fall apart (in which case DC will replace them).

Pilot27

yoman793

word. looks like DC it is. i just wish i could try a pair for a few hours. i tried my instructors flightcom denali for a flight and they rocked. the all plastic construction makes me second guess em though. i think i'll go for the DC h10-13.4 or the stereo version if i can figure out the difference it will make in my 172