What happens if...

LukeWepy

New Member
What happens if you are offered a position and you don't take it? I ask because my fiance just got a huge raise at her current position and is reluctant to move if need be. Giving her up for an ATC job is completely out of the question so what happens if you turn down a TOL for a closer facility? Just wondering. Oh, and I'm part of PUBNAT 4 and am currently waiting for my geo preferences email.

Luke
 

jeffm1999

New Member
A few people on here have had success switching their facility. I believe that most originally accepted the TOL at the PEPC, but later called their HR contact and requested a change. That would probably be your best bet. If you turn down the TOL you will have to wait for the next PUBNAT and go through the whole waiting game all over again. I say accept the TOL for wherever you get offered and then call to request a change when you get back home. Good luck and enjoy the wait... :D
 

GeorgeM

New Member
What happens if you are offered a position and you don't take it? I ask because my fiance just got a huge raise at her current position and is reluctant to move if need be. Giving her up for an ATC job is completely out of the question so what happens if you turn down a TOL for a closer facility? Just wondering. Oh, and I'm part of PUBNAT 4 and am currently waiting for my geo preferences email.

Luke
You haven't even given your preferences yet. Just specify that you will only take a tower near your home. Looks like enroute is out of the question, given your New Jersey location. If you get offered, fine. If not, look for another line of work.
 

FAA_ATC

Well-Known Member
What happens if you are offered a position and you don't take it?
Nothing. Just tell your HR contact that you would like to switch facilities. If it is in the same state it shouldn't be a major change.

If they say "No", then just reapply on one of the next job announcements.
 

chichi

New Member
When you get your geo pref email, make sure you note in the comments section that you want to be considered for ACY (unless you don't mind the ~2 hour drive to any of the next closest facilities). You should also try to schedule a tour of ACY and get your name in with the facility manager, which seems to have helped others in getting the exact facility they want. Like everyone else has said, you may have luck in being allowed to switch to another facility if you choose not to accept what they give you, but I don't think you should rely on that since there are also plenty of people who were unable to switch.
 

capttiffany

New Member
With the state of the economy, I wouldn't be surprised if they stop hiring due to budget cuts. With less air traffic and enhanced technology they can justify a hiring freeze and/or budget cuts. I would take any offer they give you and try to switch. Worst case scenario, you are stuck at that facility for a year then you can switch. Put a bid to switch on day 1..... Or your pretty lady can just be your sugar momma since she is making the big $$ and doesn't want to move...

We are all very lucky to have this opportunity to get hired OTS. In a land before time, you had to go to a specialized school for 4 years to qualify to take the AT-SAT some people spending up to 130K on these CTI schools.
 

Sunburn

Well-Known Member
With the state of the economy, I wouldn't be surprised if they stop hiring due to budget cuts. With less air traffic and enhanced technology they can justify a hiring freeze and/or budget cuts. I would take any offer they give you and try to switch. Worst case scenario, you are stuck at that facility for a year then you can switch. Put a bid to switch on day 1..... Or your pretty lady can just be your sugar momma since she is making the big $$ and doesn't want to move...

We are all very lucky to have this opportunity to get hired OTS. In a land before time, you had to go to a specialized school for 4 years to qualify to take the AT-SAT some people spending up to 130K on these CTI schools.
Or be cheesy like me and go to MTSAC and go through their CTI program, but that has been off and on for the past decade. I think the only other community college, prior to the new CTI schools opening, was Beaver Creek (or Beaver County) College in PA, and they have their own tower I believe.
 

LukeWepy

New Member
ChiChi,
I'm already working on getting in to see the Chief of Towers over at the FAA tech center and AC International. My future bro-in law has a friend who is a supervisor over there so I'm getting a nice connection through him. Shuld be touring the place within the month! Hopefully I can get ACY since it is about 10 minutes from my house.
 

chichi

New Member
ChiChi,
I'm already working on getting in to see the Chief of Towers over at the FAA tech center and AC International. My future bro-in law has a friend who is a supervisor over there so I'm getting a nice connection through him. Shuld be touring the place within the month! Hopefully I can get ACY since it is about 10 minutes from my house.
That's awesome... you're already doing everything you can. For the most part, that seems to work for those who are really trying for a specific facility, so I don't see your case being any different. Good luck with everything... you still have quite a wait ahead of you :panic:
 
Top