What can I do for *you*?

Av8trix

I fly a route thru the southeast on a regular basis; often atc recognizes our a/c and anticipates our needs- clearing direct rather than an intermediate fix, pulling up our outbound flight plan and clearance when we're taxiing to parking, etc. I always appreciate this. :) What I'm wondering is if there's anything we as pilots can do to anticipate *your* needs? Ident on climbout, anything? Obviously, I'm clueless. :)

I fly a route thru the southeast on a regular basis; often atc recognizes our a/c and anticipates our needs- clearing direct rather than an intermediate fix, pulling up our outbound flight plan and clearance when we're taxiing to parking, etc. I always appreciate this. What I'm wondering is if there's anything we as pilots can do to anticipate *your* needs? Ident on climbout, anything? Obviously, I'm clueless.

Thanks for the great attitude! That is what makes working in this job really great sometimes. If all of us, controllers specifically, had that attitude, things could go a bit smoother.

As far as specific things you can do, there really is no set list. Mostly because procedures vary from airport to airport, specifically in regard to your question about identing on climbout. Some towers give a rolling call to Departure, which would count as one of the methods for radar identification. Or, pilots usually check in "N123xyz off PHF climbing through 500 for 4000." That is one of the methods for establishing radar identification for us, so flashing us (pun completely intended) doesn't really help.

My only real advice for what you can do to help is to be ready. Keep your head in the game so that when I ask for something, I get it as quickly as you are able to deliver it in a safe manner. Whether that's a clearance acknowledgement, a turn, answer to a question, etc, etc. Most controllers have the big picture and they know how they want you to fit into it. However, that scenario relies heavily on YOU performing "the way you should." If you drop the ball because your chatting about last night's game and miss a call, then the big picture has to get redrawn a bit.

Honestly, the positive attitude is a bigger thing than you'd imagine. Keep it up!

Or, pilots usually check in "N123xyz off PHF climbing through 500 for 4000."

Two things...
1. One too many letters in that callsign :sarcasm:
2. Did you work Norfolk Approach?

And to add to the conversation; keep the radio transmissions short and sweet.
ATC: N12345, 6 miles from the marker, fly heading 230 to join, maintain 3000 until established, cleared ILS runway 26.
Pilot: 230, 3000 'til established, cleared ILS 26.

I usually try to stay way ahead of the airplane and anticipate what ATC might want us to do next, so that when they do issue the order, I'm already beginning to comply and have my answer to them ready on the tip of my tongue. Like the ILS example above, I know when we're getting close to getting the final vector and clearance for the approach, so I am *expecting* to hear the standard clearance and I'm ready to reply.

I usually try to stay way ahead of the airplane and anticipate what ATC might want us to do next, so that when they do issue the order, I'm already beginning to comply and have my answer to them ready on the tip of my tongue. Like the ILS example above, I know when we're getting close to getting the final vector and clearance for the approach, so I am *expecting* to hear the standard clearance and I'm ready to reply.

I try and instill that very thing in students. I try and make it so ATC never has to ask what our next request is.

Two things...
1. One too many letters in that callsign :sarcasm:
2. Did you work Norfolk Approach?

And to add to the conversation; keep the radio transmissions short and sweet.
ATC: N12345, 6 miles from the marker, fly heading 230 to join, maintain 3000 until established, cleared ILS runway 26.
Pilot: 230, 3000 'til established, cleared ILS 26.

I was going to go for N12345vwxyz, but I thought that was over the line!

No ORF for me. I was at LFI when I was active duty, so PHF just sort of popped into my head!

I was going to go for N12345vwxyz, but I thought that was over the line!

No ORF for me. I was at LFI when I was active duty, so PHF just sort of popped into my head!

Aah, I see. I got my private at PHF and instructed at W75. I grew up in Urbanna. Oyster Festival?

Back