What bags are we using now?

roundout

VNAV monitor
I haven't bought a bag in nearly a decade, so I'm kind of out of the loop. Currently I am using the tried and true, ubiquitous Stealth 22. It's done well, but the frame is bent and crew outfitters told me it's not repairable. It's got enough wrong with it that I can't ignore it any longer.

Here are some factors I need to consider.

Airbus person - get wrecked, 737 bag with no pockets!
Commuter - therefore, it needs to be a 22" For the same reason, something light would be ideal. Apparently LW doesn't make the carbon framed bags anymore.
Bonus points if I can use the rollerblade wheel kit I have in my spare parts bin when the first set of wheels or bearings are worn out.

I had an F/O show up with an Aerocoast the other day. It looked pretty legit. I see a lot of folks recommending Briggs and Riley but I'm not convinced it's up to the task of commuting. I don't care if it has a lifetime warranty if I have to send it in because I'm left with no bag. I'm also not convinced the LW Aurora series is up to the task of commuting, it has a lot of plastic and not much metal. I would totally get this if I was a local. I realize that metal and lightweight are mutually exclusive.

Any recommendations (other than to watch Swayne Martin's newb airline pilot gear recommendation video, or that I should move to base) would be appreciated.

UAL pilots will be using a sweet tumi bag if their TA passes. Something to think about.

Have you considered sending your bag into luggage works in STL? I’ve done this 3 times now and it comes back looking brand new. All for like a $100. I’ve sent it in with bent frames, torn pockets, and handles that won’t stay up. They’re great and it saves you a ton on buying a new bag.

Following. I have a travel pro (yes I know, now, they are junk) It has lasted 5 years, but it's at the end of it's existence. A few people have told me "luggage works, luggage works, luggage works."

Have you considered sending your bag into luggage works in STL? I’ve done this 3 times now and it comes back looking brand new. All for like a $100. I’ve sent it in with bent frames, torn pockets, and handles that won’t stay up. They’re great and it saves you a ton on buying a new bag.

I took it to Crew Outfitters when I was looking for a new flight kit and they told me it was not repairable. That was a year ago and this bag is worse now than it was then. It's had a good life. If I can make my life better or easier, I'm willing to spend the money on a better bag.

Following. I have a travel pro (yes I know, now, they are junk) It has lasted 5 years, but it's at the end of it's existence. A few people have told me "luggage works, luggage works, luggage works."

I had a TP for the first couple years I was at Eagle. The regionals are hard on bags, and I was a local. It lasted longer than I thought it would. But alas, it's not up to the task. My LW has been great. I'm hard on it and it's stood up to everything except Air Canada (the bent frame) and Father Time. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, I just want to make sure I'm not missing something.

I have the Briggs & Riley. Should get a 20% discount if you e-mail with your company ID. They have their self-repair kits available on their website if sending in is not an option. It's extremely light and very well made - mine hasn't skipped a beat in almost two years of abuse.

Still using the murderbag after 11 years, refurbed it once, sent it in again to get repaired and they sent me a new bag at the repair price. 737 destroyed the side pockets after 2 trips so I cut those bad boys off, never used em anyway.

UAL pilots will be using a sweet tumi bag if their TA passes. Something to think about.

Stopped by Crew Outfitters yesterday 249.99 for what they call "premium update". 189.99 for "standard" update. and an Itemized repair option. I doubt $100.00 will get you much these days plus 20.00 to send the old bag in.

I'm on my second Briggs and Riley and it's nearly 3 years old, with commuter and regional abuse. It's doing well and their "no questions asked" warranty is great when the bag needs fixed. Bonus is that it doesn't look like a "pilot bag" if that matters at all to you. Only downside is that unless you live near a luggage store that services them, you'll have to sent it back to them for any repair beyond replacing wheels and such. I bought my original one from a local luggage store and it was really great when it was open, but they've gone out of business. But Briggs and Riley will turn it around quick if you ask them to, about 2 weeks out and back. You pay for shipping out though.

Ups we're given travel pro. It's okay, just wish it screams "I'm a pilot" when CML on a pax carrier.

Not a 121 pilot yet but have been a heavy biz traveller up until COVID - I'm on year 12 with a Briggs and Riley that has gone through one minor repair. It's been a solid bag - the handle broke once (and I still don't see how it happened) and that was repaired easily. It's had one broken zipper handle but it has outlasted all three of the cheap bags my wife has used in the last 10 years. I don't know how well it would stand up to daily 121 life but I'll likely give it a go when the time comes.

I had an F/O show up with an Aerocoast the other day. It looked pretty legit. I see a lot of folks recommending Briggs and Riley but I'm not convinced it's up to the task of commuting. I don't care if it has a lifetime warranty if I have to send it in because I'm left with no bag.

I really like the Briggs & Riley. But it does go in for service a lot. Which is free, but probably can't be your only bag.

Damn you guys are ballers spending that kinda cheddah on a bag

1657924080034.png

Well, since the last luggage thread last month, my LW 22" small pocket zipper took a crap. I believe this bags days are numbered, when it craps out fully, I'll switch the the company issued bag. The problem with the company bag is, there are hundreds of them sitting outside during the sort. I've heard numerous stories of guys getting to the hotel and realizing they grabbed the wrong bag.

Besides being fairly durable, the Brigg’s I’ve had are fairly well balanced, roll easily and quietly everywhere. Wheels are easy to replace and they’ll ship them to you. When it does go in for service (which is rare) the cheap bag I have reminds me how good my Briggs is. I don’t have a spinner, regular 22” upright. I can’t stand spinners, mainly because of how people lean on them and roll sideways through the airport, engrossed in their phone with a Sbarro slice and Starbucks in tow as well. Or lose control of them on a train, bus,etc.

Back