What are ways to become a military pilot?

Kmaceri

I've been thinking about being a pilot in the military, but I know you can't just go up to a recruiter and say you want to fly and then they will let you.
I'm 18 and currently in college, im going to get a bachelors in business. I have my ASEL PPL, Instrument, and Commercial ASEL, and im going to my AMEL Commercial next week. Will the degree and the ratings pretty much get me a job flying for the military?
Give my your insight and .02 on what I should do.

Will the degree and the ratings pretty much get me a job flying for the military?

No.

There are three paths to a commission (ROTC, OTS/OCS, Academy), each with different entry/selection requirements. All are very competitive.

Getting selected to go to pilot training is an additional competitive hurdle. Your ratings won't be of any significant benefit to selection, but will help a little over someone with no flying experience.

And, uh....seriously....look in this very forum. This has all ready been discussed.

http://forums.jetcareers.com/military-pilots/70336-air-force-flying.html

Read up over at www.airforceots.com and www.baseops.net. Both have several forums on each of the commissioning programs, and you can read up on the pluses/minuses of each.

There are 2 other avenues to becoming a military pilot but both lead through OTS: Guard/Reserve or Active Duty. There are few slots alotted for these spots and they are also very competitive but thought I'd throw that out there.

You ratings definitely won't hurt but the more you research this you'll discover the military makes it's decision based on the "whole person concept". Your flight hours will help boost your PCSM score a little though, but only so much.

Since you're already in college I would suggest ROTC, maintain a good GPA, get involved in the community, keep flying, be well-rounded and don't give them any reason not to select you when the time comes. Also check out this site for more info http://wantscheck.com/.

I've been thinking about being a pilot in the military, but I know you can't just go up to a recruiter and say you want to fly and then they will let you.
I'm 18 and currently in college, im going to get a bachelors in business. I have my ASEL PPL, Instrument, and Commercial ASEL, and im going to my AMEL Commercial next week. Will the degree and the ratings pretty much get me a job flying for the military?
Give my your insight and .02 on what I should do.

Just be careful over at baseops they cut you no slack.

All three services, Air Force, Army, Navy/Marines have aircraft. The selection process and requirements are different for all three. All have benefits and draw backs. Some programs are easier to get into than others. It also depends on when you apply. Right now, the Army is desperate for pilots... but you will fly heicopters and you will deploy to a combat zone for one year.
In the Air Force and Army you also have the avenue of the Reserves and National Guard. While the Navy/Marine Reserves have aviation units, I have not ever heard of someone going into them off the street. You must have prior military service- although not necessarily in the Navy. As with active duty, if you go into the Army Reserves or National Guard you WILL deploy at some point. On the flip side, you will fly your rear end off while deployed (500-1000 hours in a year).
Good luck, whatever you decide.

i graduated from the academy and am currently in UPT right now, so if you have any questions about that route i can answer them

I've been thinking about being a pilot in the military

Let's edit that sentence just a bit

I've been thinking about being in the military. Notice the words that have been removed.

Now let me ask you a question. If that edit reflected your service in the military (i.e you couldn't be a pilot), would you still want to join? If the answer is no, then do your fellow soldiers, citizens and taxpayers a favor, and don't join. The military is about service, not self-service.

Second question: have you thought about what it means to be a military pilot? Do you think you are capable of having a job where your duties are to kill people? Because ultimately that is what any military job is all about: defending the constitution of the country by killing people and breaking things, or by supporting the killing of people and the breaking of things.

Food for thought

Back