Watch guys.

BravoHotel

Are Bremont watches worth their price? Are they up there with say Rolex or Breitling? I don’t know much about them, but they produce a watch I want and I am on the fence about pulling the trigger: They want $2998 for crew members of this thing, normally six thousand.
8E136B94-B610-4933-838C-FA58789B4091.jpeg

At first when I saw the airport identifiers I thought thats useless, none of those icao identifiers make any sense for a long haul pilot I would have chosen heathrow, narita shanghai, O’Hare, jfk, etc, but then I realized that most of the them are military airport identifiers. Elmendorf, hickham, Dover, Colorado Springs. amberly, midway,

so it looks like they’re trying to market this to the military guys not airline crews

i don’t know anything about watches, but the FO I flew a few weeks ago with seemed to know about watches. He says is all about the movement of the watch.

does the second hand “tick” if so it’s a quartz movement, or does it smoothly sweep, then that is the traditional movement with gears - some are better than others. Some keep awesome time others not so much.

At first when I saw the airport identifiers I thought thats useless, none of those icao identifiers make any sense for a long haul pilot I would have chosen heathrow, narita shanghai, O’Hare, jfk, etc, but then I realized that most of the them are military airport identifiers. Elmendorf, hickham, Dover, Colorado Springs. amberly, midway,

so it looks like they’re trying to market this to the military guys not airline crews

i don’t know anything about watches, but the FO I flew a few weeks ago with seemed to know about watches. He says is all about the movement of the watch.

does the second hand “tick” if so it’s a quartz movement, or does it smoothly sweep, then that is the traditional movement with gears - some are better than others. Some keep awesome time others not so much.

They are trying to specifically market this thing to C-5 crews. Here are their other watches for other specific military airframes.

ahhh.....

so a question just because I don’t know... do C-5 crews or military crews these watches are marketed towards need a watch that has a known measurable error?

we used chronometers in the Navy - because each chronometer we used had a known error that could be measured and corrected for when we used the time off the chronometer in our sight reduction calculations. We couldn’t use our $20 timex Ironman watch on our wrist because we didn’t know the error of our timex even if we had time hacked it with the utc time off the GPS

So do the watches come with something that tells you what the error of the watch is and the correction value to apply?

Last edited:
ahhh.....

so a question just because I don’t know... do C-5 crews or military crews these watches are marketed towards need a watch that has a known measurable error?

we used chronometers in the Navy - because each chronometer we used had a known error that could be measured and corrected for when we used the time off the chronometer in our sight reduction calculations. We couldn’t use our $20 timex Ironman watch on our wrist because we didn’t know the error of our timex even if we had time hacked it with the utc time off the GPS

So do the watches come with something that tells you what the error of the watch is and the correction value to apply?

This is some in depth calculations that requires something beyond my need or requirements. I just like the watch. But I am not sure if I like it for $2900. If Bremont was highly ranked I might consider it. I don’t know of their reputation.

The FO I flew with seemed to be annoyed with people who had expensive watches but when he would ask about their watch they didn’t know anything about it.

His big thing seemed to be centered on knowing about the watch movement. And that quartz was cheap even if it was in a multi thousand dollar watch.

Anyways that’s about all I gleaned about watches on a 4 hour half-transcon. He had specific manufacturers, Breitling according to him when they first started out used movements from other manufacturers but their later watches they moved to in-house movements as they developed experience making watches

He mentioned a few watch movement manufacturers and what watches they were used in but I can’t remember who he mentioned - it was more of a nod my head. That’s really cool.... Couldn’t really contribute to my side of the conversation other than questions.

You ever see Rolex or Breitling 50% off retail price...or a coupon for them...plus, Rolex is for your grandpa, Breitling is for, I won’t say it, do not want to make people look down. A classic Omega, not new, old, 65-72.

Are Bremont watches worth their price? Are they up there with say Rolex or Breitling? I don’t know much about them, but they produce a watch I want and I am on the fence about pulling the trigger: They want $2998 for crew members of this thing, normally six thousand.View attachment 50626
Seriously? "Up there"?
Please tell me you understand that a $15 Casio will keep far better time than any of these multi-thousand dollar confabulations. ?? And your iPhone will give you the Atomic Clock every single time you look at it.
Or are you the kind of dude who buys a Rolls Royce because it's higher quality than a Honda?

Seriously? "Up there"?
Please tell me you understand that a $15 Casio will keep far better time than any of these multi-thousand dollar confabulations? And your iPhone will give you the Atomic Clock every single time you look at it.
Or are you the kind of dude who buys a Rolls Royce because it's higher quality than a Honda?
Jesus christ man, just let people have their collections. Who peed in your cheerios?

Jesus christ man, just let people have their collections. Who peed in your cheerios?
The Vacuous Consumerism that is killing EVERYTHING GOOD and voiding humanity of all reason. That's who.

And by the way, General Mills pissed in my whole oats and added sugar to create those Cheerios.

Jesus Christ? He's been marketing-transmogrified into the shiny shiny distraction that keep folks from noticing or worrying about what's really going on all around them ALL THE TIME.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously? "Up there"?
Please tell me you understand that a $15 Casio will keep far better time than any of these multi-thousand dollar confabulations. ?? And your iPhone will give you the Atomic Clock every single time you look at it.

Actually I had to return 2 $25 Timex/Cassio watches before getting a basic one $40 that wouldn’t lose time in less than a day.

Back