Want to get back into aviation but not sure what job?

Vinny687

Hey everyone,

I graduated college with a Bachelors degree in Aeronautical Science, and every rating except MEI and ATP. Flying jobs were scarce when I graduated, so I fell back on my business knowledge and became an insurance appraiser. I fly on the side and I belong to a great flight club because I don't want to let go of aviation. My job pays well and the benefits are great but I feel like I belong somewhere else. My passion is aviation, so I've decided to set my sights on an aviation job. The only problem is, I don't know exactly what I want to do. Being a pilot would be great but I still have to build more Multi time. But I just want to be around aviation in some job capacity for now. I have a few areas of interest such as Safety, Operations, Dispatch, Govt (FAA, NTSB) but I'm not sure where to start. Does anyone have any insight or advice about a situation like mine? I'm sure that my aviation education/experience and my insurance job experience could be useful to someone. I'm 25 years old and would like to make a move while I'm still kinda young and single. Thanks for your advice!
-Vinny

You have your CFI, right? Start out instructing on weekends until you build enough time to leave your current well-paying job. :)

You have your CFI, right? Start out instructing on weekends until you build enough time to leave your current well-paying job. :)

Well, I'm doing that now and building up my time but I would like to see what other jobs in the industry I would be eligible for. You know, just to have some options when it comes time. Any ideas? Oh and thank you for the advice, you were right on the money with flying on the weekends!

Well, I'm doing that now and building up my time but I would like to see what other jobs in the industry I would be eligible for. You know, just to have some options when it comes time. Any ideas? Oh and thank you for the advice, you were right on the money with flying on the weekends!

What are your times? Have you thought about banner towing since you're coastal? What about fish spotting? I don't know how much they do fish spotting anymore... I've only done it once back in the summer of 04 in Jersey... Jump pilot maybe??

Back