Walnut Gardens?

seahawker12

It might be just me, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people are staying at Walnut Gardens. I wondered if there was something wrong with the place or something... I have already reserved a room there. It looks like it has a lot of good accommodations (fully furnished, cable TV, fenced in w/ coded entry, on FAA bus route). Just making sure I'm not weird for staying there...

Yank&BankmyRJ145

It might be just me, but it doesn't seem like a lot of people are staying at Walnut Gardens. I wondered if there was something wrong with the place or something... I have already reserved a room there. It looks like it has a lot of good accommodations (fully furnished, cable TV, fenced in w/ coded entry, on FAA bus route). Just making sure I'm not weird for staying there...
Your weird, but not from staying there. :sarcasm: More to do with being a seahawk fan

I have been looking into this place also.

seahawker12

Why doesn't anyone like the Seahawks? They only suck this year! They have been pretty good otherwise! But anyways, I thought this place looked really nice, but no one seems to be staying there. Seemed kind of odd to me.

ATC2B

Seahawker,

First off let's get one thing straight, the Seahawks have always been bad they have made it to the playoffs the past few years courtesy of their WEAK WEAK and did I say WEAK division!!! Come on the Cardinals, who have been bad for about 3 decades up to this season, the 49er's bad ever since Steve Young left and I can't even remember the other team in that division because they are so bad.

But if I can't help you out with your taste in football teams I will help you out with your housing. I am currently staying at Walnut Gardens as well as about 7 other guys from my class. We all seem to like it fine. The maid service is really nice to have the TV's work fine and the internet has never gone down and it is pretty fast. I would stay here again if I had the choice. A couple of guys actually transferred here from Isolla Bella, they hated it over there, they couldn't get internet or more than 5 cable channels. I would say Walnt would be one of the top 3 places to stay. Hope that helps.

seahawker12

First of all, in regards to just last year, if you can take out your entire threat of a running game and still win games, you have a good team and a good coaching strategy.

As for Walnut Gardens, you did make me feel a lot better about it. Do you know the square footage of the rooms? I don't know what you are in but i'll be in a one bedroom.

Sunburn

I am writing this sitting in my room in Walnut Gardens. There are a couple people in my class also staying here. I have a one bedroom apartment, I have not seen the Studios (efficiency apartments) but I find them pointless with the new per diem (at least for ATC new hires). The apartment is about 750 sq. ft. I have yet to have maid service here, but when I got into my apartment is was perfectly clean. Only thing I do not like is that is has an electric range, however beggars can't be chooser (being that I think all the listed apartments are electric). But the one bedroom, has a full size couch and armchair, a large coffee table, an end table with lamp, a standing lamp, dining table with 4 spots, and only enough silverware for 4 people but steak knives for 2 lol. My apartment has a blender, coffee maker, full size frig, dishwasher, toaster, can opener, microwave, the aforementioned electric range and stove, and a toaster over, combo shower/tub, and basically a stacked washer drier. I have a single king size bed, and two tv's which have the step up from basic cable, but there is still almost nothing on, but that's ok, I only need the History Channel, Weather Channel, Fox News, and Fox network, so all in all I'm set for TV.

If I had to come back to OKC, I would stay at Walnut Gardens (btw, WHERE ARE THE WALNUTS AND THE GARDENS? WTH?!), the staff is friendly and helpful, I just don't think I would get on of the efficencies, unless it was monetarily advantagous to me.

Craptastic

Well I have looked into and toured a ton of places around OKC and I can tell you Walnut Gardens is pretty nice. Every place has their certain perks and Walnut Gardens has decent interior plus your around other FAA students if you happen to have questions or any thing. As far as the Isola Bella being bad, I talked to a lot of people that stay there and they like it a lot. They are remodeling their apartments and the new ones look really good. Plus you get a lot of the same perks you get at other apartments in the area and a full size gym for free and 24 hour security. With that said either one of those places are a great option but that area of OKC is pretty dead and lame. If you want a good recommendation I would say definitely say go for the Fairways at Moore (great area) or Corperate Housing Solutions(extremely nice living). Or find your own non-FAA housing in a nicer area and save some per diem.

SQuirell88

Staying at Walnut Gardens right now. Really only two issues, the area around WG is not that great, but apparently that is the norm here. I'm in a 1 bedroom which is about 750sq ft. and clean and is sufficient, except the dryer doesn't have a hose to the outside for the air to go (I didn't see an opening in the wall either) so the bathroom gets pretty humid when drying clothes.

Is anyone else at WG in a 1bedroom have this same issue?

ViperJoe

I booked a 1 bedroom (non efficiency) at Walnut Gardens for the end of March and was curious about a couple things. What size are the 2 tv's? Are they at least 19"? I know they say that some rooms have plasma tvs but I won't get my hopes up. And also, is there no desk? It wasn't mentioned by Sunburn. So do people just set up their pc's on the kitchen table or buy/bring a desk?

Crisally07

I booked a 1 bedroom (non efficiency) at Walnut Gardens for the end of March and was curious about a couple things. What size are the 2 tv's? Are they at least 19"? I know they say that some rooms have plasma tvs but I won't get my hopes up. And also, is there no desk? It wasn't mentioned by Sunburn. So do people just set up their pc's on the kitchen table or buy/bring a desk?

Well I'm at Apple Tree, and I'm pretty much set up on the kitchen table. It's not that bad, plus I can see the living room tv sitting here and pop in the fridge whenever...lol. However, at Spanish Gardens, I believe there's an option to get a 1bdrm with a den. I stayed there one night, and the den had a desk and everything. I don't think it's that much more than the reg. 1 bdrm.

SQuirell88

Hey dude, I'm staying at Walnut Gardens in a 1bedroom right now (PVing on Thursday though :) Anyway to answer your questions, I have the older TVs and the one in the living room is 24" and the one in the bedroom is 19". There is a desk in the living room that I use to study on. I have my laptop on the kitchen table b/c that is where the ethernet jack is and quite a distance from the desk. There is no wireless connectivity unless you setup your own (which people have, but they lock it down).

If you have any more questions or want pics of my apt, PM me.

LawnGnome

Here are a few reviews:

Re: Walnut Gardens Apartments Review Report This Review Reviewed by Max Power

Customer Service: Always helpfull when I needed it.

Price: One of the best prices around. The $30 rooms are essentially hotel rooms with a small kitchen, mini fridge etc.. You have to use shared laundry with this room and theres only 2 washer/dryers. the $42.50 1bdrm is a small apt with plenty of space for a academy stay. Full kitchen, washer/dryer in room.

Location: Usually 10-15 minutes to class because of the odd hours but the traffic can get backed up if you drive during peak hours. Plenty of stores in the area. Oh did I mention the neighborhood is horrible? But with the razor wire fencing you must be safe right? I really didnt mind the neighborhood just the time it took to get to the interstate at times. But I did feel it was pretty centraly located so it made it nice for doing activities with your classmates. Getting to anywhere around OKC isnt too bad from there.

Noise: neighborhood noise wasnt bad, I could hear my neighbors water running. If your a recluse you wont want to be in the pool/bbq area.

Cleanliness: pretty presentable, I did notice a mildew smell in my room. Saw some bugs but they came through on occasion to spray for pests.

Amenities: Internet is fast and farely reliable. plenty of furniture, kitchen has almost everything you need including toasters and blenders. the bbq pits are pretty nice. Nice pool and pool area that has areas of shade and sun. Free beer and snack foods on wednesdays.

Re: Walnut Gardens Apartments Review Report This Review Reviewed by guest

I would not recommend this place to anyone. The grounds are disgusting, there is tons of noise at all hours of the night. If it wasn't for the FAA, this place would be run down and out of business....it disturbs me that they take advantage of the students this much...they charge around $1000 a month for a place that may be worth $100...I personally wouldn't refuge there if I was homeless on the streets. There are plenty, absolutely plenty of other housing units in the area and I would strongly suggest staying at one of them.

Re: Walnut Gardens Apartments Review Report This Review Reviewed by WickedPenguin

I stayed at Walnut Gardens from May to July 2007. Of the FAA housing, they were the cheapest, which was important since at the time there was no per diem being offered.

Customer Service
The staff was helpful and professional. I never really had a problem with them. I had three problems during my time there - 1) the lack of a desk, 2) a kitchen sink that backed up, and 3) frozen-over and leaking A/C unit - and all were fixed promptly and correctly.

Also, when you get to the Academy, they don't start paying you right away. It takes a couple weeks for your salary/per diem to come in. WG knows this and was not very pushy on collecting rent.

Price
I thought the price was fair when compared to other extended stay places like Extended Stay America and such. Also, the $5/day rental car can't be beat. It all depends on what you're willing to go forgo. I had a lot of stuff with me - computer, music production gear, etc. - and I needed space.

I had a friend who found a place on CraigsList for $400 a month, but it was one room with a shared bathroom in a small house about 45min from the Academy. I was paying about twice as much per month but lived only 10min from the Academy, had a ton more space, and didn't have to work around roommates.

The complex itself is gated and I'd say pretty safe. However, don't go walking outside the gate on your own. It's pretty ghetto. A female friend who was just walking up the street to the 7/11 was getting harrassed and hit on by a bunch of different guys. The next time she needed to go, she asked me for a ride. We had three shootings within as many months within a 10 block radius.

But... the location had a lot of good points as well. It's just up the street from the Academy. There's a huge mall with a Walmart, Best Buy, etc. just up the road, 5 minutes away. There's a ton of places to eat, with Meridian and Reno also 5 minutes away. The main expressway is also really close if you want to downtown and Bricktown. It's a very convenient place.

Noise
I had zero noise issues there. Maybe if you're in one of the efficiencies by the pool you'll get some noise, but everywhere else was pretty quiet. We had some pretty good parties in the pool area, but we didn't really have much in the way of music going on.

Cleanliness
After reading a lot of horror stories about FAA housing places, I was pleasantly surprised. No pests, no strange unknown substances, no obvious damage or issues. Like any place like this, I'd recommend washing the sheets, towels, and all dishes/silverware before use. But that's just common sense, and nothing against the place itself. It's not a hotel that has maid service and fresh everything on a daily basis.

Amenities
I stayed in a 1/1 ground floor unit. I thought it was excellent overall. So...much....space! I had a proper dining area, a proper living room, a proper galley kitchen, and a proper bedroom. The room had a lot of storage spaces, more than I could ever need - and I had a lot of stuff. Also, having your own in-house washer/dryer unit was terrific. I would constantly see people walking back and forth from the efficiencies to the laundry room in the clubhouse and think "I'm glad it's not me...".

Furniture:
Living room: Full size couch, large comfy chair, coffee table, TV armoire, end tables.
Dining area: Dining table, four chairs
Bedroom: King size bed, walk-in closet, two huge dressers
Kitchen: A complete set of dishware, utensils, cookware, etc.

Was it the most absolutely comfortable furniture in the world? No, but it was good and I had no complaints about it. The living room was great - several times a bunch of friends would come over and we'd study for the tower class. We'd lay out the big paper map on the huge coffee table and practice our phraseology. There was more than enough room for everybody.

As a comparison point, I stopped by a friend's efficiency. I am so glad I didn't opt for that - the efficiency's queen bed took up the majority of the floor space. The whole efficiency felt like a large closet instead of an actual living quarters. You could literally lie on the bed and reach the fridge, the dresser, the TV... I felt claustrophobic in there. Another couple I knew had originally rented an efficiency and quickly upgraded to a 1/1 like mine. I mean, there's only $10 worth of difference between the two, but the 1/1 feels almost 2/3 bigger.

My only beef with the apartment was the size of the television. Some WG rooms have large plasmas. I got saddled with a room with a tiny CRT TV, which made watching movies and playing video games a disappointing experience. But whatever, such is life.

The club house and pool area were pretty decent. Nice pool, and usable through all hours of the night as long as you don't get too stupid. My friends and I spent many an hour hanging out there, getting stupid and making the most of our stint in OKC. On Wednesdays and Thursday they also have a happy hour-type thing there with free beer and food. The upstairs lounge area has a few couches and a big-screen TV.

Conclusion:
If I had to go back to OKC for whatever reason, I'd gladly stay there again.

Re: Walnut Gardens Apartments Review Report This Review Reviewed by DOD_ATC

Customer Service: No problems with the ladies in the office. Paid rent when it was convenient for me.

Price: Cheapest place I could find.

Location: Not the greatest area of OKC, but for the price, who cares? I had no problems with the surrounding neighborhood or the other students in the complex.

Noise: I had heard that some people were staying at the pool later than allowed, but I had no complaints.

Cleanliness: Worst category in my opinion. Grounds were okay, interior of apartments were okay at best. I would guess rodents/insects are a problem in other apartments. I noticed one insect in my apartment (small efficiency).

Amenities: Efficiencies have no washer/dryer in the apartment, although they do have a free laundry room (2 washers, 2 dryers) to use. I ended up going to a laundromat on weekend because washer/dryers were in use at Walnut Gardens.

Overall, Walnut Gardens was just what I expected. I was there to save money and go to school. Nothing else. The efficiency was $29.50/day which was the cheapest place I could find. Recommended.