Walking Away From Academia

Samurai

The meat and potatoes of the situation:

-30 years old, married
-Bachelor's degree in Japanese, Master's degree in Rhetoric
-Completely unfulfilled with the politics and nature of the professional academic game
-Long time interest in aviation
-Cashing in my egghead chips to change careers -- pilot if I can get my medical sorted out, dispatch if I can't, and dispatch as a backup regardless in case of medical SNAFUs later in life

No career field is perfect, I am aware, and wages, working conditions, and industry-specific circles of Hell are a fact of life no matter where you are, it seems. That said, I'm still walking away from the academic world to enter aviation as an industry.

As an older, married individual with a 100% supportive spouse, what, in your opinion, should I reasonably expect?

Let me hear it all: the good, the bad, the ugly, and the you-asked-for-it-so-don't-complain.

Many thanks in advance.

It's going to suck. Any way you go. At 30, you're still relatively young, and you can go the airline route if you so choose. Understand that it's not just the first few years you have to worry about, though, it's all the rest of them. Mergers and Acquisitions, etc. With that said, if it's what you want to do, by all means do it, and join the rest of us in kvetching constantly. Me, myself, if I were 30 (if only I were) and just getting in to it, I would trend towards the 135/91 side. If you do it right, it's a few (relatively few, anyway) years of pain, followed by a career you can just barely live with. Except that you get to fly. PM me for specifics on why I feel qualified to comment, etc. And good luck, you're going to need it (as do we all).

No career is perfect, but aviation is probably the furthest from it. If you don't mind low pay, rarely being home, constant fear of losing your job and having to move/commute across the country for another one, than yea, nothing beats flying for a living.

Dive in, I hope you can hold your breath for a long time!

Despite the doom-and-gloom, there are many very satisfied and happy professional pilots out there.

You just don't find them on internet forums jumping for joy about it.

Part of the bias in this particular forum is that the majority of contributors are at the beginning of their careers, and work in the most turbulent sector of the industry. This is a storm that you'll have to go through in order to make it to the (relatively) stable part of the field on the other side.

Thanks to all for the informative replies. I appreciate the frank and honest feedback, as it helps keep expectations realistic.

Don't forget about divorce and financial destitution. A few are happy with aviation the same as lottery winners are happy with gambling. The rest of us however get kicked to the curb with a hand full of worthless scratch tickets.

Don't forget about divorce and financial destitution. A few are happy with aviation the same as lottery winners are happy with gambling. The rest of us however get kicked to the curb with a hand full of worthless scratch tickets.

Wow, dramatic.

Guess I know a crapload of 'lottery winners' then.

Again...there are actually a lot of professional pilots who are perfectly happy with their compensation and quality of life, they are just not out shoving that fact in everyone's face.

Josh Chamberlain... Professor of Rhetoric @ Bodwoin College .. and did a fine and mighty job on Little Round Top !

Anyhow... I'm the reverse of your situation...left my corporate job and started chasing the dream... stopped while working on my CFI. Got into the world of higher Ed and Academia ... I do enjoy it but you're dead on with the politics and bureaucracy ...

I'm about a year into my PhD program... aiming for a tenured track faculty position so that I can then spend my summers instructing and flying for fun... hopefully !!!

Best wishes on whatever you decide !

Dispatch is your fallback plan! How about A&P? The maintenance guys I work with all have their private license and own a share of an airplane so they get to go up and fly when they want. They where shorts and t-shirts to work, listen to music in the hangar while they fix the airplanes, crack a couple beers at the end of the day and then go home to their bed every night. Shoot! Maybe I sould be an A&P.

Don't be scared, be educated on the good and bad. My philosphy going in the flying area is the is the old saying 'if ya' love what ya' do, you never have to work another day in your life"

Dotto on the A&P!!!!! (funny thing, when applying for flying jobs I was told on several occasions no pilot slots but we they always needed A&P's)

Back