Waivers for vision?

RRPower

Just wondering if there were any waivers for vision problems? I just went to the eye doctor the other day for my yearly visit and my left eye is not great. I currently wear contacts and feel I have "barely" passed my medicals in the past although I have and I continue to. He said the best he can get me to in my left eye is 20/25. The right is 20/20 corrected. I am confident I can continue to pull of my medicals because it is like I can read half the line of 20/20 but just not perfectly do it. However if I get to the point wear I truly can't see but 20/25 is there anything that can be done? By the way, this is for a 1st class and has to be a 1st class. CHEERS

Just wondering if there were any waivers for vision problems? I just went to the eye doctor the other day for my yearly visit and my left eye is not great. I currently wear contacts and feel I have "barely" passed my medicals in the past although I have and I continue to. He said the best he can get me to in my left eye is 20/25. The right is 20/20 corrected. I am confident I can continue to pull of my medicals because it is like I can read half the line of 20/20 but just not perfectly do it. However if I get to the point wear I truly can't see but 20/25 is there anything that can be done? By the way, this is for a 1st class and has to be a 1st class. CHEERS

Don't know if it helps, but I have a lazy right eye, with an effective vision of 20/100 - 20/200. I got a IClass med, with a few yards of legwork. Basically, I'm considered a monocular pilot, so with 20/05 of a difference, I wouldn't sweat it too much. :)

Not that the doc needs a :yeahthat:, but that's exactly what I did. Called the local FSDO for a flight, and it was basically like a progress check. Nothing special, and he signed my SODA, took that back to the AME and got my 1 Class, no restrictions.

OKC contacts

AME locator

FSDO/DPE locator

Good luck!

Do you have to go through the same process (including the flight) every time you have to renew your 1st class medical?

Do you have to go through the same process (including the flight) every time you have to renew your 1st class medical?

Oh lord no. After the initial process, which may take some time, all you have do is whip out your SODA (I laminated mine) to the flight doc, and presto. I pretty much bypass my entire eye exam every time.

Oh lord no. After the initial process, which may take some time, all you have do is whip out your SODA (I laminated mine) to the flight doc, and presto. I pretty much bypass my entire eye exam every time.

Thanks for the info :). I have ambliopia also, my right eye is better than 20/20, but my left eye is 20/30 non correctable, so these are great news.

Could this, however, be a problem with 121 and 135 operators? Having a first class med, but with monocular vision?

Well reading this makes me feel better, im basicly the same way, my left eye was a 20/25 corrected while my right was 20/10. While I passed the doc kinda hinted that I might not pass in the future. I can see damn fine and I would be very un happy if I got tagged because of a 20/25 left eye.

Could this, however, be a problem with 121 and 135 operators? Having a first class med, but with monocular vision?

I asked about this a while back, only got a few answers. Other than THIS, I hope someone else can chime in.

Thanks for the info :). I have ambliopia also, my right eye is better than 20/20, but my left eye is 20/30 non correctable, so these are great news.

I have a couple of Captains at major airlines who are monovision - it is not a problem.

Don't know if it helps, but I have a lazy right eye, with an effective vision of 20/100 - 20/200. I got a IClass med, with a few yards of legwork. Basically, I'm considered a monocular pilot, so with 20/05 of a difference, I wouldn't sweat it too much. :)

Haha, my left eye uncorrected is somewhere around 20/500 and my right eye is probably around 20/200 or so. For my last 3 or 4 yearly eye appointments, my eyes have been fairly steady. With contacts, I can see about 20/20 in each eye, so I've got a lot of correction in there.

So I have terrible eyes, but I guess for some reason they were able to be corrected pretty easily....

Haha, my left eye uncorrected is somewhere around 20/500 and my right eye is probably around 20/200 or so. For my last 3 or 4 yearly eye appointments, my eyes have been fairly steady. With contacts, I can see about 20/20 in each eye, so I've got a lot of correction in there.

So I have terrible eyes, but I guess for some reason they were able to be corrected pretty easily....

Holy cow! I mean, like India!

I wish my eyes were fixable, unfortunately, mine is a brain problem. Stupid lazy eye. :buck:

Back