VOR/DME seperation

rivetor

ornithopter it
Apparently I've had an inherently flawed understanding of VOR's. When a VOR is Out of Service does that also remove the DME (assuming a DME is paired with it: aka TACAN or VOR/DME or a VORTAC)?

I always thought it did, but I've been severely challenged on this and I'm starting to think I'm wrong. If so, when a VOR is NOTAMed out of service, can I then assume the DME is still operational unless it is specifically NOTAMed out?

p.s. References would be appreciated

VORs operate within the 108.0 to 117.95 MHz range. (VHF)
DMEs operate within the 960 to 1215 MHz (UHF).
They are two separate systems with a code sharing protocol for pairing the two radios in a "single" receiver. Think of flying an ILS with a DME signal coming from a separate VOR. In that case, the differentiation becomes obvious. You have to lock in the DME freq from the remote (NON-ILS paired) DME.
Don't worry about any of this, though. It's all GPS these days. ;)

Thanks. I happened to have a non-GPS a/c yesterday so I had to frantically run back to the basics

These type of NOTAMS are not always clearly written. I’ve seen them imply that both were out when only one component was out and vice versa. Up here I always call FSS and ask and they’re usually helpful, but I imagine down south they’d be useless.

Back