VFR landing clearance in rapidly deteriorating weather

TexasT

This is probably a non-issue. But reading the posts and responses from you all, I've managed to come by some really great insight. So here's one for ya! Any input is certainly appreciated!

Storms rolled through my local Class-D airfield this afternoon and left some light rain and high overcast sky behind them. After things settled a bit, I went out north of town for a brisk review of maneuvers and some pattern work, where it was clear with even higher overcast. Coming back into home base, I pick up the weather and it's VFR, but FEW005 and OVC070. No problem, I thought, as I already had the field in sight from 10 miles away, and I was closing in fast.

Within the confines of the airspace, I was instructed to enter a left base for the landing runway. I complied, and began to slow to approach speed. As I'm within 2-3 miles of the field, the controller says "be advised, there is a broken layer at about seven-to-eight-hundred feet moving over the field' and asks 'is there an IFR-rated pilot aboard?' Well, yes, I am IFR rated. But the skies were certainly not broken. MAYBE scattered, but I was certainly maintaining VFR and I had the field in sight. So, feeling that turning back around for an approach was unnecessary and lacking the time to request SVFR as I was already descending and prepping for landing, I replied '123AB has the field in sight.' To which I received '123AB, runway one-two, you're cleared to land.'

Landing was uneventful. At that time or only minutes later, a new METAR reflected the BKN007, technically rendering the field IFR.

Am I correct in assuming that a controller cannot issue a VFR aircraft landing clearance without an IFR plan/clearance if the field is in fact IFR? Is this something I should be sending an ASRS report over? What are your thoughts?

I get that quite a bit in my work, and they will say the field is going IFR and to advise intentions. I will advise I have the field in sight, or I will request a special. More often than not ATC or the FSS wont put out the new official weather until whatever airplanes are in the pattern have landed.

Am I correct in assuming that a controller cannot issue a VFR aircraft landing clearance without an IFR plan/clearance if the field is in fact IFR? Is this something I should be sending an ASRS report over? What are your thoughts?

You are correct. However, given the timeline you shared, that's not what happened.

Controller advised some wx was rolling in ---> you were on a VFR flight plan, on short final to a field that was broadcasting VFR wx and you had the field in sight ----> you landed ----> field went IFR.

Perfect.

As far as the query to see if you were capable of IFR? Sometimes we like to preplan, in the event the weather gets there before you do (in this case).

:)

I get that quite a bit in my work, and they will say the field is going IFR and to advise intentions. I will advise I have the field in sight, or I will request a special. More often than not ATC or the FSS wont put out the new official weather until whatever airplanes are in the pattern have landed.
What's the weather?
What do you need?
1 mile
You got it.

I'll advise the pilot of the new weather if it becomes officially posted before they land (the NWS does our observations and I don't have a way of delaying them). If you're already in the surface area and the field DOES become IFR, I still wouldn't withhold the landing clearance that's for sure. It would be the pilot's prerogative to decide how to proceed, and whether what they chose to do violated an FAR or not would not necessarily be known by controllers.

7110.65V
3−10−8. WITHHOLDING LANDING CLEARANCE
Do not withhold a landing clearance indefinitely even though it appears a violation of Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations has been committed. The apparent violation might be the result of an emergency situation. In any event, assist the pilot to the extent possible.

You were clearly legal. The controller was clearly covering their bases. The asking you if you're IFR qualified and equipped thing is just telling me in advance if this is a full blown emergency potentially happening as the storm rolls in if all doesn't go according to plan. Don't bother yourself with controller rules. We have a nice carve out and catch all called 1-1-1 in our .65 (rule book). Best judgement. If you're VFR on final or thereabouts with the field in sight, only bad things happen by waiting on you coming back later for bad weather.

Well, you have the airport in sight, able to descent VFR to a landing, you're good. You could request a SVFR, if it's allowed in your particular airspace but from reading your description it sounds like overkill.

Back