Vertical path non-precision approach safety?

Ah... I honestly don't know if that's a thing on the 717. There is no mention of it in the systems manual we have and I don't remember reading about it in a CBT anywhere. I know it will go full idle when you pull select a lower altitude. I'll have to try it in V/S and see what happens.

EDIT: That said, your systems manual is sadly lacking so it's entirely possible we have LO LIM as well.

For the 717? I can take a peek.

LO LIM isn't a term that I've ever heard used for the 717, but the same principle is built into the system logic. If you're in IDLE CLAMP or FMS SPEED and above the selected speed, the autothrottles pull back to just a bit above idle. You have to pull them back to idle manually if you want to get rid of that tiny bit of remaining thrust. If you do, the servos don't kick back in until it's time to bring the power up upon reaching the set speed.

As far as autothrottle stability, the ATs are incredibly stable on all but the most gusty days. I'll usually still leave them on to the ground, even when it's very gusty, and just override them when needed, but I have flown with a few guys who turn them off when it gets windy and they have to override. But generally, our company culture is to use the automation that is provided. It's both safer, and according to Boeing, more fuel efficient.

P.S. Boris, I think you need to look into joining a Luddite colony.

I didn't know they weren't at idle when it says IDLE CLAMP. That will be good to know. One of the toughest things in this transition for me has been the fact that I know so little about the plane (compared the CRJ after 8 years on it). I'm sure it will come along but in the mean time it's frustrating as hell.

LO LIM isn't a term that I've ever heard used for the 717, but the same principle is built into the system logic. If you're in IDLE CLAMP or FMS SPEED and above the selected speed, the autothrottles pull back to just a bit above idle. You have to pull them back to idle manually if you want to get rid of that tiny bit of remaining thrust. If you do, the servos don't kick back in until it's time to bring the power up upon reaching the set speed.

As far as autothrottle stability, the ATs are incredibly stable on all but the most gusty days. I'll usually still leave them on to the ground, even when it's very gusty, and just override them when needed, but I have flown with a few guys who turn them off when it gets windy and they have to override. But generally, our company culture is to use the automation that is provided. It's both safer, and according to Boeing, more fuel efficient.

So, in essence it's doing LO LIM without annunciating LO LIM. Go Douglas! :)

"Oh you're going to the Airbus? WATCH OUT FOR THE ENGLISH! Hey, how about a nice faux fireplace, we advertise them in the front section of USAToday magazine!"

Granted, I'm busting on the Amish, but the Amish are somewhat Ludditic, aren't they?

Umm, yep! I was thinking the exact same thing! That IDLE clamp can be a real booger! ;)

Technically, I'm talking about the variant that I flew, the -88 and -90.

I've seen a 717, cough MD-95, once or twice!

Back