Vacuum Artificial Horizon recomendations?

rframe

pǝʇɹǝʌuı
Well the old Attitude Indicator in my Cessna is dying a slow death with some weird precession once in a while in straight and level, yet it works fine most of the time... it's time to get replaced.

What are your recommendations on a standard 3-1/8" vacuum horizon?

My plane does not see any actual IMC but does get some hood training work, it also does do spin training which I know can be hard on gyros sometimes.

So far I'm finding new Sigma-Tek's are about $950 with Sigma-Tek rebuilds about $750 and RC Allen vacuum new about $750... I've heard very bad things about RC Allen electric gyros, but not much about their vacuum stuff.

Anybody have a source for high quality overhauled gyros? My current indicator is an older style so I'm not too interested in overhauling it and it's not worth anything as a core. Most of the overhauls I've found are not worth the risk given the small cost savings over new.

The RC Allen gyro, if it's still the same one I'm thinking of, either isn't able to be overhauled, or there's a part in it that, when it wears out, makes it not worth overhauling, I can't remember which.

Sigma-Tek is kinda the going standard out there. If you don't do any IMC then just do whatever is cheapest.

Back