VA Disability - Stopping it before it hurts

HotMike

Hello everyone,

I'm a current active duty member of the U.S. Army, leaving the service to pursue a commercial career within the next 6 months. As a part of separation, I have to complete the VA disability evaluation to see what I "rate". I have a few issues that I was considering having the VA cover (with or without financial compensation, I don't much care about that aspect) strictly to cover me medically should they become issues in the future. They are as listed:

Tinnitus - Minor, doesn't affect my hearing much at all
Lower back pain - Have degenerative disk disorder in a few L discs, with some slight bulging. Pretty well handled with physical therapy
PTSD History - Had it diagnosed 7 years ago, took meds for a month, got off, did meditation, no further issues. Full psych eval completed with symptoms gone.
Shoulder issues - Torn rotator cuffs, little pain but not bad
Astigmatism caused by impact injury - Still have 20/20 vision according to an FAA doc, have glasses that get me to 20/10. Full eye exam completed, no lasting symptoms other than less than 20/15 uncorrected vis (which I had before)
Burn Pit Exposure - Asymptomatic but documented

I'm a flyer in the military, and as such, have had all of these issues evaluated by an Army Flight Surgeon or the Army Aeromedical Evaluation department at Fort Rucker. I have a Class 1 flight physical and currently fly, which some of the issues (PTSD, Hearing) fully evaluated by aviation emphasis docs that cleared me to fly, some under permanent waivers.

My worry is that the VA will determine that these issues warrant a disability compensation, and I would have to report it to the FAA on my flight physical with them. I have been flying for almost 15 years and don't wish for these to end my career. However, if my back blows out or lungs disintegrate due to a military related issue, I would like to be covered by the VA for health care (obviously at that point my flying career would be over). Is there anything I should, or shouldn't, do with the VA when it comes to my reporting and rating so that I can avoid having to A) jump through hoops with the FAA, and B) potentially lose my ability to gain a Class 2 medical?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. This forum is a huge help for those of us without pristine bills of health.

Mike

My recommendation is to contact an expert AME like Dr. Bruce Chien and consult with him. He could give you MUCH more reliable advice than any of us. He knows the FAA medical stuff better than the FAA does.

FWIW, and it's not much, but I receive 10% for sacralization of my L5 vertebrae, and 0% for a torn meniscus. I had no problem getting a second class medical, having never had a previous flight medical clearance.

Former Army Aviator here (58s) with a 90% rating. I've got a pass with much worse stuff. I'm currently a line pilot with an airline but on a class 2. You should be good to go.

Drop me a pm if you have specific questions. And thank you for your service.

Btw, change your screen name to something other than your real name. opsec is a good thing out here too.

Current USAF aviator & hold FAA Class 3. For my issues (melanoma, open heart surgery, tinnitus, back issues, shoulder issues, partial thyroidectomy, knee issues, burn pit exposure, and more) I took a hard copy of my AF waiver packages and my entire medical record to the AME for a consult on what needed to be done (nothing additional) then submitted what was required and waited for the SI to come through.

Back