VA Benefits and PTSD

Vic

I retired from the military back in Feb of 2011. After over a year of not flying I wanted to get back up so I applied and was hired from a local company. When I did my physical i was not receiving any VA benefits so I did not check the box. Now, 14 months later I finally received my compensation. Now that I am receiving compensation I have to check the box and I am worried that this will raise lots of flags and will reject my physical. I have not been on any medication for the past 15 months and no personal issues. All I read online is how the FAA will ground you for any mental issues. How can we prepare myself for this brick wall I am about to encounter when I go to renew my physical? If I am getting 50% for PTSD disability how can I get my AME to pass me? There are two other pilots in my situation that need assistance with this, we want to do what's right and disclose all info on our form. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

1) The PTSD should have been reported on the prior medicals.
2) Be sure you have a good psychiatric evaluation to demonstrate the PTSD is not an issue now.

That's where I made the mistake. It was well over a year so I did not mention it. How can I get back in good standing? I iust want to make sure that when I go to renew I have all I need. Thank you

Be sure you have a good psychiatric evaluation to demonstrate the PTSD is not an issue now. Report it on the next medical.

I retired from the military back in Feb of 2011. After over a year of not flying I wanted to get back up so I applied and was hired from a local company. When I did my physical i was not receiving any VA benefits so I did not check the box. Now, 14 months later I finally received my compensation. Now that I am receiving compensation I have to check the box and I am worried that this will raise lots of flags and will reject my physical. I have not been on any medication for the past 15 months and no personal issues. All I read online is how the FAA will ground you for any mental issues. How can we prepare myself for this brick wall I am about to encounter when I go to renew my physical? If I am getting 50% for PTSD disability how can I get my AME to pass me? There are two other pilots in my situation that need assistance with this, we want to do what's right and disclose all info on our form. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

I am faced with the same situation. How did this turn out for you? What did you do to obtain the Psych eval? Did you go through the VA for the eval?

I would use a privatre psychiatrist rather than the VA for this.

Thank you for the post Dr. Forred. I consulted the medical review service provided by AOPA, he seemed to be under the opinion that these type situations would have to be reviewed by the FAA in Washington D.C. and that it could take 4 to 6 months to get cleared. Would that be your opinion as well?

Sorry to bring up an old post.

I have a student who did not report PTSD on his medical (claims he didnt know he had it). The VA just handed him the PTSD flag, and he does not take any medications for it.

Options?

1. He already has a 2nd class medical. Just keep on training him and hope he can get a medical on his 2nd go around next year if he he reports it then along with his private psychiatrist evaluation report.

2. Report it to the FAA now and risk losing a medical for months while he does the evaluations...This would also drop him out of the collegiate program he is enrolled in.

3.?

what if you were medically discharged for ptsd, would it still be better to go through private psychiatrist and get a phyc evaluation there or should i go through the va? i still have a valid 3rd class medical but i was diagnosed with ptsd a year after since i was in a pretty bad motorcycle wreck.

Private psychiatrist. VA is not very helpful in demonstrating you are doing well (they will not have another patient visit to log) and are terrible at providing the paperwork the FAA needs.

I would think this is a slippery slope. On one hand you are collecting money from the VA for a "disability" but then holding out to the FAA that you are fine and the issue doesn't give you any problems. I'd say you can only play both sides for so long. If you get a Dr to say you are fine, then one day the VA is probably going to take away that rating. Just something to think about as more and more government databases are overlapped and start talking to each other.

Back