Using Multi Engine for Complex

mjg407

We currently have several pilots here who hold only a private and fly our Cherokee 6 for support of the big planes. Question, we also have an aztec. IF I instuct our private SEL pilots in the aztec, can I also sign them off for their Complex Endorsement? Thanks.

Yes you can.
(e) Additional training required for operating complex airplanes. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2) of this section, no person may act as pilot in command of a complex airplane (an airplane that has a retractable landing gear, flaps, and a controllable pitch propeller; or, in the case of a seaplane, flaps and a controllable pitch propeller), unless the person has --
(i) Received and logged ground and flight training from an authorized instructor in a complex airplane, or in a flight simulator or flight training device that is representative of a complex airplane, and has been found proficient in the operation and systems of the airplane; and (ii) Received a one-time endorsement in the pilot's logbook from an authorized instructor who certifies the person is proficient to operate a complex airplane.

61.31 (3) (e)

Ok, I re-read your question and you obviously know what a complex endorsement entails. You were asking if a SEL rated pilot can get a complex endorsement in a MEL. The answer is still yes. When a student gets their private multi they typically get a complex endorsement so they can solo the plane if the school allows students to solo a twin. So they are flying solo, logging PIC and have the endorsement but they are not ME rated. Clear as mud? I dont have a reference for that.

Yes you can.

61.31 (3) (e)

Ok, I re-read your question and you obviously know what a complex endorsement entails. You were asking if a SEL rated pilot can get a complex endorsement in a MEL. The answer is still yes. When a student gets their private multi they typically get a complex endorsement so they can solo the plane if the school allows students to solo a twin. So they are flying solo, logging PIC and have the endorsement but they are not ME rated. Clear as mud? I dont have a reference for that.
Clear, and no need for the reference it was what I figured. And right now we need to get some of our guys trained up in the Aztec anyway. Thanks.:D

Back