USFS Job(s) - 20 vacancies - Throughout the Nation

My questions is: How many 1300+hr pilots with 100hrs IFR/Night have also been a ground-pounding firefighter?

I understand they want you to know the ground operations but can't they teach that in the classroom? To make it an application requirement is crazy!

My questions is: How many 1300+hr pilots with 100hrs IFR/Night have also been a ground-pounding firefighter?

I have, and still am.

I understand they want you to know the ground operations but can't they teach that in the classroom? To make it an application requirement is crazy!

It's more dynamic than something that can just be taught in an academic environment. The far preference would be someone who's BTDT.

It'd be like saying Close Air Support.....can't it just be taught in academics, and then just go out and provide it first-hand for ground pounders?

I have, and still am.

It's more dynamic than something that can just be taught in an academic environment. The far preference would be someone who's BTDT.

It'd be like saying Close Air Support.....can't it just be taught in academics, and then just go out and provide it first-hand for ground pounders?

So your saying all ground support pilots should be infantry first?

So your saying all ground support pilots should be infantry first?

Ill tell ya, being a GFAC/ALO definitely made me a better CAS pilot. And that was me simply providing support to the guys on the ground. Even as a FAC, I was still taking direction from someone on the ground regards where they wanted my ordnance and why. I never had an "initial attack" role where I just showed up and determined on my own what should be bombed and where. It was exceptionally rare.

Even so, in this job announcement, while Im sure they want the experience, I also believe through how the announcement is worded, that this is also a paring-down of resumes tactic; if not already having the people in mind that they want to hire already.

Even as a FAC, I was still taking direction from someone on the ground regards where they wanted my ordnance and why. I never had an "initial attack" role where I just showed up and determined on my own what should be bombed and where. It was exceptionally rare.
It is the same here, there is generally a ground Incident Commander (IC) who is the overall tactics decision maker, and with the Air Attack officer who gives very important real time aerial perspective, then the lead plane will find the appropriate point to deliver retardant along with the best places for the helos to do the bucket work.

That *is* the USMC approach

Not the Air Force approach. Also not sure it is the wisest use of assets. From graduation from college to graduation from the F/A-18 RAG for my nephew was nearly 5 years to the day. That's alot of time an asset is tied up that could be pulling a trigger.

Ill tell ya, being a GFAC/ALO definitely made me a better CAS pilot. And that was me simply providing support to the guys on the ground. Even as a FAC, I was still taking direction from someone on the ground regards where they wanted my ordnance and why. I never had an "initial attack" role where I just showed up and determined on my own what should be bombed and where. It was exceptionally rare.

Even so, in this job announcement, while Im sure they want the experience, I also believe through how the announcement is worded, that this is also a paring-down of resumes tactic; if not already having the people in mind that they want to hire already.

Better, but qualified?

The 90 day requirement was put into place to filter out alot of the military pilots that were applying. They would hire these former military pilots and the guys would never stick around or would never work out as lead plane pilots. Plus having 90 days of firefighting experience definitely helps you understand the dynamics of fire.

Back