USCG

skatergeek

Beet Farmer
Ok, so I am interested in flying in the Coast Guard and had a few questions about it.

I don't really know much about military aviation, so how easy (or hard) is it to get a flight slot? I have just under 1500 hours TT, would that help me or hurt me? What would I have to do?

Also, I saw something on the CG website about Blue 21. I do not really understand this. I graduated with a 4 year degree from a university that had a 30% minority enrollment. Does that mean I can get a flight slot since I meet the rest of the requirements on the website?

Thanks for all the help, like I said, I do not know much about military aviation or lifestyle.

US Coast Guard said:
To be eligible for BLUE 21, applicants must have graduated from a college or university with a minimum 25% minority population of U.S. citizens in addition to the academic and physical requirements listed below.

All I can say is that if you don't have that, Good Luck! There are no waivers for that college requirement.

Ok, so I am interested in flying in the Coast Guard and had a few questions about it.

I don't really know much about military aviation, so how easy (or hard) is it to get a flight slot? I have just under 1500 hours TT, would that help me or hurt me? What would I have to do?

Also, I saw something on the CG website about Blue 21. I do not really understand this. I graduated with a 4 year degree from a university that had a 30% minority enrollment. Does that mean I can get a flight slot since I meet the rest of the requirements on the website?

Thanks for all the help, like I said, I do not know much about military aviation or lifestyle.

Not to sure about the Blue 21 program but if you check the USCG webpage or with a recruiter they should have more info on what schools meet the requirements and other requirements to get a guaranteed flight slot.

When I applied I was in the same boat as you had about 1800 TT and got picked up for OCS and then flight school. Your flight time and aviation experience will definately help out your application. You will still have go through Navy pilot training but if you are proficient you maybe able to skip a couple of flights here and there. Overall flight school will take about 1.5 years from start to finish. If you go fixed wing that might be a little quicker but for the most part each program takes about the same amount of time to complete. You will do primary flight training in Whiting field (Pensacola area) where you will fly the T-34 and following primary if you want to fly helos you will stay there and go to the helo squadron and fly TH-57 (Bell Jet Ranger). If you decide to fly fixed wing you will head down to Copus Christi, TX where you will fly the T-44 (King Air C90). Once you get winged you will head to your operational airframe and then to your airstation.

Once at your unit you will be stationed there for about 4 years and will be an operational pilot prosecuting Law Enforcement and Search and Rescue cases. In addition to flying you will also have side jobs called collaterals where you will be responsible for different projects/jobs throughout the airstation. Overall the CG is an awesome service to be apart of and is very rewarding.

CG Flyer is right on. My sister and brother in law are CG Pilots in FL and gave me the same words, almost verbatim. The hard part is the CG wants prior military experience unless you're one of those rare cases and it is possible.

p.s. I'm a skater too...talkin' to the army because jobs are scarce in the civilian world

No, their are plenty of Coast Guard Ensigns along with the Navy Ensign, and Marine Corps Lieutenants in SNA training.

Back