USairways furloughs....

meyers9163

So I got a kick out of this on APC.....

"Not hiring. 300 pilots to be furloughed. First nine pilots are now furloughed."

Did 9 pilots really cost them that much money? what the heck.

most furloughed or would be furlough pilots are from PSA and PDT. :( However, had a j/s other day. According to what he said, he suppose to be furloughed in 8 months.

2 of my buddies were just furloughed, the kicker is they were held because we didn't have enough CA's. Before we could upgrade we had hire into the training department and then train those instructors, which is about a month long process. Then we needed FO's, because we were thin on staffing to begin with, so from application to completion of IOE you're looking at a minimum of about 3-4 months. Needless to say, these guys were held for just about a year, and if they hadn't been held they would be safe from the furloughs. :(

2 of my buddies were just furloughed, the kicker is they were held because we didn't have enough CA's. Before we could upgrade we had hire into the training department and then train those instructors, which is about a month long process. Then we needed FO's, because we were thin on staffing to begin with, so from application to completion of IOE you're looking at a minimum of about 3-4 months. Needless to say, these guys were held for just about a year, and if they hadn't been held they would be safe from the furloughs. :(

That same thing happened at Skyway/Midwest. Today, that year doesn't mean much, but we had CA's who were hired and in the pool. Because they worked at Skyway and it was short on CA's, they were left in the pool while Midwest continued to hire outsiders who got the seniority.

Any furloughed or soon to be furloughed US Airways pilots on this board - drop me a PM if you might be interested in a Part 91 operation in the midwest (Fortune 500). I might be able to point you in the right direction.

Sincerely,
Former US Airways furloughee who made the switch.

Umm... there were no 2006 hires.

There were 1999 (and maybe a few 2000) hires and then nothing until 2008.

Umm... there were no 2006 hires.

There were 1999 (and maybe a few 2000) hires and then nothing until 2008.

Between 1999 and late 2000 there were 1149 pilots hired at US Airways.
When I was laid off in 2002 I was 4997 out of 6076 on the seniority list.

How did the furloughs drop regarding West guys and East? Did they furlough out of seniority or according to Nic? How?

How did the furloughs drop regarding West guys and East? Did they furlough out of seniority or according to Nic? How?

I believe it was according to the nic. Wish I remembered the numbers but I think it was 175 west and 125 east or vice-versa. Either way, as slow as they are furloughing (30 or so a month) the hope is there will be a turn around before too many hit the streets and it will never reach that total number of 300.

Well if they go through with the full 300, I'm narrowly avoiding being part of the 175 at West.

Good to have a mainline guy here, welcome! A lot of us down at the wholly-owned are sitting in furlough pergatory waiting to see what happens to the mainline furloughs so It will be nice to have someone who is actually there with current, REAL info and not "the friend of a buddy's husband" type info :p!

I got to thinking, does the pool that the 70-some-odd PSA CA's are in at USAir still exist, or was is dissolved with the furlough of the 300?

Well if they go through with the full 300, I'm narrowly avoiding being part of the 175 at West.

Hopefully my contributions to AWAPPA will help get some of those 175 back on the property where they belong.

For anyone that wants to help the West pilots, AWAPPA has a contributions page set up at http://www.awappa.org/donate.php They need help with their legal fight to enforce their seniority list and eliminate the unfair treatment from uSAPa.

Back